• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

I've only been on Provigil for a couple of months. At first, I did not sleep for 4 days. Today, as has happened for the last few days -- 6am dose of 200mg makes me alert. It starts wearing off by noonish but I wait until 1:30/2:00ish to take another 200mg. I say to myself (since I'm not working at the moment), ok, quick powernap -- I put my head down at 2 and wake up at 5 and feel like I need to sleep a couple of more hours. When I return to work, this type of pattern is just not going to work!

Before provigil, I was talking in circles by 3 or 4 in the afternoon, but stayed awake until bedtime (less the random crash). I feel that the Provigil has "polarized" my cycles. But it makes me feel much more alert and has eliminated the "talking in circles" thing (aka microsleeps). I only take a low dose of a benzos for sleep.

Ultimate question, If I were to try (ehem, ask my doc for) xyrem -- would it help eliminate the (now routine) mid-day crash and normalize my sleep cycle?

I'm starting to interview next week -- I'm starting to get nervous and second guess that the meds are actually "helping" sad.gif

#2 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:40 PM

It's supposed to help with that, it seems that most Xyrem users who were on Provigil were able to decrease their dosage or stop it altogether. All depends on the person.

Chris"Toph4er"

#3 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

With provigil, I can't let it do everything. I can't take it and expect it to give me energy. I'm (humbley) learning I have to move, and let the provigil help me move. I can't expect the provigil to make me want to move, and I'm convinced that motivation needs to come from within. With that in mind, provigil works much better...that's my experience.

Sometimes I get depressed, and want to give the world a big middle finger. I caught myself expecting the provigil to help, when the fact of the matter is I am bigger than the little white pill. At that point the pill does jack. At that point *I* have to do something...ANYTHING, but hermitize.

#4 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hehe, don't get me wrong! I drove over an hour to philly at 7am and supported my daughter at a cooking (chocolate) competition. Dozed through a boring presentation from one of the exec chefs. Chatted up with others about the event. Had a nifty-snooty lunch that only a cooking school could pull off -- hehe and got home at, uh, yeah, 2ish.

Then the dang crash -- logged in here and moaned.

But I got up and out again and played golf with my boy for the evening.

I keep going -- but these crashes can be down right torturous -- and I thought Provigil would stop that blink.gif

Now, I'm up at 1am - sleep cycle blown for at least a week (by past experience)

Least i tried to sleep but could only "play" with my "immediate REM" (even before I sleep, it starts)

I recall a time many many years ago when my wife and I played with lucid dreaming. I told her that I could dream immediately and control it *then* fall asleep into the same dream. She tried and tried, but of course, being without "the ability" was jealous of my "talent". Sigh, I long to be able to just close my eyes and see NOTHING and just go to sleep.

Ok -- I'm ranting -- I'll deal (and hopefully, my doc will be open to the xyrem idea)

#5 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:ROCK CLIMBING ,CYCLING AND WATCHING MY SON PLAY RUGBY

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

I FEEL FOR YOU .YOU RANT AWAY THATS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR smile.gif THERE IS ALWYS SOMEONE THAT WILL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THREW rolleyes.gif .THAT ALONE HELPS ME biggrin.gif .PROVIGIL NEVER WORKED FOR ME,BUT THEN AGAIN NEITHER HAS ANYTHING ELSE .LOL. laugh.gif

#6 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (bagpuss @ May 11 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I FEEL FOR YOU .YOU RANT AWAY THATS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR smile.gif THERE IS ALWYS SOMEONE THAT WILL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THREW rolleyes.gif .THAT ALONE HELPS ME biggrin.gif .PROVIGIL NEVER WORKED FOR ME,BUT THEN AGAIN NEITHER HAS ANYTHING ELSE .LOL. laugh.gif

Thanks.

I'll just go to my corner and keep quiet until my embarrassment passes ... unsure.gif

#7 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

I was wondering if you have tried to increase your dosage of provigil. Andre's Dr told him it would be ok to take an extra 200mg if he needed a boost occasionally but he has not tried it yet. Much like you it's just not doing the job anymore and its only been 5 months.

Have you noticed a change in mood since you started Provigil?

#8 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:29 AM

What's your dose (if youve said it, im sorry too tired to read back through).

Interesting fact: higher doses of Provigil treat sleepiness and lower doses treat fatigue

Try higher and lower doses to see what helps you most, and talk with your doctor about it.

#9 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:02 AM

My dosage has been 200mg at 6am and 200mg at 2pm. 100/100 didn't seem to "do enough" from the get-go. Idunno

#10 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

Unless you need to, try not taking it on weekends so when you do take it you feel a bigger boost from it. But of course, TALK WITH YOUR DOC FIRST! biggrin.gif

Chris"Toph4er"

#11 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:54 AM

I spoke with Andre's dr and they let him increase his dose from 200mg when he gets up to include 100mg about 4-6 hours later if he needs a boost. We are going to see the Dr on Monday to get a new script, I have a feeling dr is going to want Andre to change his work hours. Dr has mentioned it every time we see him and again on the phone when we talked about the increase.

What do you all think? When you have N shouldn't you work during your most productive hours?

#12 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Lovemyhusband @ May 16 2008, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spoke with Andre's dr and they let him increase his dose from 200mg when he gets up to include 100mg about 4-6 hours later if he needs a boost. We are going to see the Dr on Monday to get a new script, I have a feeling dr is going to want Andre to change his work hours. Dr has mentioned it every time we see him and again on the phone when we talked about the increase.

What do you all think? When you have N shouldn't you work during your most productive hours?

Honestly, I don't know if it would be within my right to demand special working hours, but that's just me. In my last job, I was able to work into a 6:30 to 3:30/4:00 day 'cuz 4:00 was my "pumpkin hour" (eg, started to get spacey and loopy).

Now that I am looking for new work, I don't think I will have that luxury, but we shall see! (crossing fingers)

#13 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:35 AM

You have some descriptive terms huh? tongue.gif

I don't go to school until 10...if that is what your saying. (retyped that about 10 times...damned fingers!) I take my 2 high school classes from 10-12 then have college classes: Mon from 4-9, Tues&Thurs from 4-5:20, and Wed from 4-6. Monday is supposed to be till 10 my my prof lets us out at 9ish so yay.

Chris"Toph4er"

#14 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (Toph4er @ May 17 2008, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have some descriptive terms huh? tongue.gif

Yup! Actually my office buddies came up with that :pumpkinhead: (now, did that emoticon show correctly?) tongue.gif

#15 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:31 AM

When im bored I'' make you a emoticon for that lol...any excuse to break into photoshop...but right now it is late...shouldnt be up tongue.gif

#16 MOE2626

MOE2626

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:SPENING TIME WITH MY FAMILY, READING, CARRIBEAN VACATIONS

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ May 10 2008, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've only been on Provigil for a couple of months. At first, I did not sleep for 4 days. Today, as has happened for the last few days -- 6am dose of 200mg makes me alert. It starts wearing off by noonish but I wait until 1:30/2:00ish to take another 200mg. I say to myself (since I'm not working at the moment), ok, quick powernap -- I put my head down at 2 and wake up at 5 and feel like I need to sleep a couple of more hours. When I return to work, this type of pattern is just not going to work!

Before provigil, I was talking in circles by 3 or 4 in the afternoon, but stayed awake until bedtime (less the random crash). I feel that the Provigil has "polarized" my cycles. But it makes me feel much more alert and has eliminated the "talking in circles" thing (aka microsleeps). I only take a low dose of a benzos for sleep.

Ultimate question, If I were to try (ehem, ask my doc for) xyrem -- would it help eliminate the (now routine) mid-day crash and normalize my sleep cycle?

I'm starting to interview next week -- I'm starting to get nervous and second guess that the meds are actually "helping" sad.gif

WHEN I BEGAN PROVIGIL, A FEW YEARS BACK, IT WORKED WONDERS..I'VE HAD TO INCRESE DOSE.NOW I AM ON 200mg & I TAKE IT ABOUT 10AM..MY DR SAID THE XYREM IS OK..BUT I WOULD NEED TO GO OFF THE PROVIGIL FOR A GOOD MONTH, THEN SWITCH (TRY) THE XRYEM...ANYONE ELSE EVERY EHARD OF THAT?? LATELY. AS LONG AS I GET PLENTY OF REST, I AM OK...BUT MANY DAYS I COULD TAKE A NAP...I STILL FIND MYSELF GOIGN TO BED AT 7-8pm..MY DOC WON'T ALLOW ME ANYMROE THAN 200mg A DAY....HOW MUCH DOES EVERYONE ELSE TAKE?? DOES YOUR INS COVER IT?
AS THE SAYING GOES.'TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME!'

#17 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

I spoke to my physician about still being able to lay down and sleep (more than nap) at my "worst" times of day with Provigil.

He added a short-acting stimulant, Ritalin (Methylphenidate) to take as necessary at those low times.

So right now I am taking a 200 mg Provigil when I wake up, 10 mg Ritalin mid-morning lull, 200 mg Provigil at lunch, and 10 mg Ritalin early afternoon crash.

The Ritalin really helped with the breakthrough tiredness.

However, it gives me "dry mouth" really bad. I'm hoping as I titrate up on my dosage of Xyrem at night that I might be able to drop off one or both of the Ritalins during the day.

Just what you needed, right? Another pill?

#18 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ May 22 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just what you needed, right? Another pill?

LOL -- my goal is to be a walking pharmaceutical company! But, very interesting idea to try Ritalin.

#19 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

STATUS REPORT:

I dunno -- some days are better than others. The day of my original post was one of my worst in quite some time. But, I am happy to report, without mod to my regimen, things have seemed to even out - at least for now.

Just wanted to say THANKS to all that chimed in!!!

This forum is absolutely awesome!!!

Your ALL awesome!!!

#20 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

Oh yeah -- DON'T LET IT GET OUT THAT I GOT SAPPY -- or i will hunt you down! mwahahahahaha