• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

First off, I'd like to just give out a big thanks to all that have responded to my questions over the last few weeks and I hope that sharing some of my own experiences has helped others in return.

So, with that said, I've got some obscure observations and questions that have been nagging me.

1. After large meals, I crash. If a "binge" on my favorite alixer "chocolate milk", I get drunk tired. So the question is -- what can I do to help avoid food induced crashes? should I eat like I was diabetic and stay with proteins? Should I only eat small meals 6 times a day? what?

2. Over the years, I have observed that my symptoms would come and go. I think that I have correlated my good and bad times with the physical location of my home? more specifically, elevation? the closer to sea level that i live, the better I feel. FYI -- I've lived in the philly area, eugene oregon, waterloo iowa, and kansas city missouri.

3. (ok, three's enough for one posting, LOL) what started me on my quest that something was "wrong" over eight years ago was this. I was sitting at a seminar when the presenter made an off-color (very unprofessional and unexpected) remark to the group to try and introduce some humor to the 'tough crowd". We all laughed uneasily and I was rather insulted and uncomfortable. Almost instantaneously I had the sensation that someone was putting hot electrical probes on my spine which methodically worked from my lower back up to my shoulders, out of the top of my head and symetrically out of my arms and hands. I was sitting and slumped back in my chair. it completely wigged me out. I have never had a full cat attack aside from some loose knees and weak hands and head bobbing. Was this yet another variation on the same theme?

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Chuck, your so cool!

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ May 8 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. After large meals, I crash. If a "binge" on my favorite alixer "chocolate milk", I get drunk tired. So the question is -- what can I do to help avoid food induced crashes? should I eat like I was diabetic and stay with proteins? Should I only eat small meals 6 times a day? what?

I've had many discussions with buds of mine about the hypnotic effect of chocolate milk. You speak of it like it's a bad thing! wink.gif

One of my "symptoms" of my condition is a random sleep pattern. While I completely understand about how a half gallon of the chocolatey manna can lull, for me it's not a garanteed good night sleep. I wish Xyrem tasted that way! (HEY JAZZ! ARE YOU LISTENING!?!?!)

Is it really such a bad thing? It's not like your slugging down Johnny Walker, right? Calcium. Vitamins A and D. Oh, and protein. Yeah, there's sugar involved, but moderation can bring such joy!

2. Over the years, I have observed that my symptoms would come and go. I think that I have correlated my good and bad times with the physical location of my home? more specifically, elevation? the closer to sea level that i live, the better I feel. FYI -- I've lived in the philly area, eugene oregon, waterloo iowa, and kansas city missouri.

We find ourselves where we are happiest...I think this is a physical law our bodies try to follow as well as our spirits and passions. Some are happier in warm and sunny surroundings, others like the coolness of the Northwest (GO DUCKS! ooops...sorry). I thrive anywhere there is a natural hot spring.

3. what started me on my quest that something was "wrong" over eight years ago was this. I was sitting at a seminar when the presenter made an off-color (very unprofessional and unexpected) remark to the group to try and introduce some humor to the 'tough crowd". We all laughed uneasily and I was rather insulted and uncomfortable. Almost instantaneously I had the sensation that someone was putting hot electrical probes on my spine which methodically worked from my lower back up to my shoulders, out of the top of my head and symetrically out of my arms and hands. I was sitting and slumped back in my chair. it completely wigged me out. I have never had a full cat attack aside from some loose knees and weak hands and head bobbing. Was this yet another variation on the same theme?

Maybe. Maybe not. Just think of what kind of physical reaction someone without N would feel. Not all physical reactions are so easily labeled. I've had simular feelings, usually when some level of confrontation is involved. It does feel simular to catting out, but not exactly.

But it is what it is. It's all a nuerons firing and reacting.

#3 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

"Hi, my name is Chuck"

"I'm a chocoholic. I have not had a glass of chocolate milk for (checks watch) a couple hours now"

blink.gif

Thanks for the councelling Stu!

Seriously though, I guess it does have to do with the sugars, it also can exacerbate my intermittent RLS but that is basically a non-issue for me less the guarentee that I *will* have problems sleeping due to the legs, but I was just curious rolleyes.gif

I'm sure I'm overanalyzing the elevation/barametric pressure thing, but hey, no stone unturned! (Yeah, I'm recalling typing something to the effect of "stop dwelling on things" somewhere in this forum, but -- whatever! mwahahahah)

As for the low-voltage running through my back -- no, I'm easily flustered anyways and that just manifests itself as basic hot neck, beat red forehead and a couple beads -- this was totally unique and actually has never happened since. Ah, who knows?

Oh, and by the way *Fonzi* was "cool", *chuck* is basically a nerd (broken glasses, pocket protecter, you get the picture), and don't your forget it! tongue.gif

#4 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ May 8 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I'm a chocoholic. I have not had a glass of chocolate milk for (checks watch) a couple hours now"

"Here's to thirty days of sobriety--Ah crap"
Sorry, made me think of that tongue.gif

Alas, in response to the electrical-like pulses, Sometimes when I move my eyes left and right quickly I will feel jolts throughout my body, most often when I am tired. It's like my whole chest hops sometimes and my heart skips a beat wacko.gif. I know when I had my MSLTs going I experienced jolts through my whole body as well, in a different way than the eye-movement jolts. I think I wrote it down on the paper they gave me (the did you sleep/dream/etc. + comments) Nothing arose from it though.

Chris"Toph4er"

#5 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

I actually went out and got a quart of C. Milk after replying...
smile.gif

I'm a sucker for peer pressure...
damn you charles...DAMN YOU!!!
smile.gif

#6 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

I have to confess, I've gone to the "hard stuff".

After telling my wife of this thread, the next time she was at the store she came back with a pound-sized tub of chocolate carnation instant breakfast mix.

laugh.gif LIFE IS GOOD! laugh.gif

#7 sleepylisa

sleepylisa

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hey Chuck,

Not sure if this makes any difference or not but I felt a lot better and more energized while living in Hawaii (actually a little BELOW sea level...we flooded a lot) than I do living in Ohio. I always attributed it to the beautiful sunny days of Oahu vs. the dreary gloomy Ohio weather (and actually considered that light therapy thing I read somewhere on here).

As I'm sure there are a lot of extraneous variables when comparing Hawaii to Ohio, I too will leave no stone unturned and am interested in your elevation hypothesis. Let me know if you figure anything out!! --lisa

#8 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (sleepylisa @ May 9 2008, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if this makes any difference or not but I felt a lot better and more energized while living in Hawaii (actually a little BELOW sea level...we flooded a lot) than I do living in Ohio. I always attributed it to the beautiful sunny days of Oahu vs. the dreary gloomy Ohio weather (and actually considered that light therapy thing I read somewhere on here).

Yup, I dunno if it's the sun for me. From what I can tell, if I stay out too long on a sunny day, I'm almost guarenteed to come home, crash very hard for a couple of hours and wake up woozy only to recover another hour or two later after waking up.

#9 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

With the elevation thing, it is natural for anyone to be more tired at higher elevations. Naturally the air is thinner giving you less oxygen, but it is also generally colder and cold air, no matter how warm blooded we are, zaps us of our energy tongue.gif.

Also, to Chuck and Stu...c'mon guys...resist the temptation!!! biggrin.gif

Chris"Toph4er"

#10 rantboy

rantboy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Toph4er @ May 10 2008, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the elevation thing, it is natural for anyone to be more tired at higher elevations. Naturally the air is thinner giving you less oxygen, but it is also generally colder and cold air, no matter how warm blooded we are, zaps us of our energy tongue.gif .

Also, to Chuck and Stu...c'mon guys...resist the temptation!!! biggrin.gif

Chris"Toph4er"

Resistance is futile!.....says the shadow

#11 rantboy

rantboy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (rantboy @ Jul 20 2008, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Resistance is futile!.....says the shadow

you made me think about an arcane subject...dowsing

As to the elevation thing the thining of oxygen is calculated in hundreds of feet. For example sea level versis 1,000 feet. I doubt a couple of hundred feet will make a difference. Of course I don't know the altitude difference between Hawaii,Ohio,et all but it probably is no more than 600 feet.

As to dowsing. Many dowsers claim there are noxious radiation lines in the earth. That the can cause some people problems especially if the line is just below their bed - extended exposure. And that it can cause illness that disappear when the person lives else where or moves the bed. This is spoken of in a lateral sense. I wonder if it also applies in a vertical sense?

They exist, I did walk into one myself while learning about them. It is like walking into an invisible wall you pass through.