Photo

Experiencing relief from EDS with Vicodin...has anyone else?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Topper

Topper

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:sleeping--hopefully not much longer<br />riding mountain bike<br />building/making/fixing things<br />electronics<br />tv, movies<br />currently working full time+OT, taking classes for electrical engineering degree, and supporting 2 young children and my wife

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:01 AM

Years ago i had back problems and was prescribed percocet.
I experienced the same effect as some of you, i would take them in the mornings to wake up.
they worked better than anything else i have taken so far. i was just diagnosed with narcolepsy 1 month ago and tried provigil, adderall, and ritalin and non of them helped.

#22 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:25 AM

I got relief from my C with Klonopin and that's also supposed to be a depressant. No one believed me but I wasn't the only one who had this happen. It really worked. Not recommended for long-term use as it caused other problems, but for my N/C it worked wonders.

#23 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

I once had my jaw broken, and the oral surgeon didn't think that it was. It took the guy TWO MONTHS to believe me. It went from a hair line fracture to the right side of my jaw pivoting side to side about half way towards the middle. Like a fulcrum.

The man preferred to give me painkillers, which I didn't like taking. Everything seems to have an opposite affect for me. Even melanin (sp?) sped me up. I can't stand that feeling - heart pounding, racing. I don't like to be out of control of my body, at all.

#24 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

I never realized this until you said that. I don't know about painkillers b/c I avoid them like a plague. My mom has a huge problem with pills, so I don't want anything to do with that kind of stuff. I only took it once when I had my wisdom teeth out which made me incredibly sick. I had such a hard time waking up from the anaesthesia ( I cant spell today ) and then I think I was on percocet for the pain. That literally made me so ill and sick. All I did was sleep.

Lets see... Oh! Benadryl. OMG I will never take that again. EVER!!! I was really sick this past winter so I took some thinking it would help me sleep better. Yeah.. bad idea. All it did was make me feel all of my illness, while my body was basically paralyzed and my mind kept going on and on and on.

Tylenol PM does that too. So I find if I take one that will sometimes help. I'm small though so I always though 2 were probably just too much for me. Never thought it could be related to N. Wow... Thanks for the post, this has brought a lot to my attention.

#25 sleepylisa

sleepylisa

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hi Everyone, it's me again. I haven't been on here in a while, but man I am SO GLAD I posted this topic in the first place. I really thought this was just another weird thing that only happends to me. I have been on Vicodin once since my last post, and percocet for a week as well, and again I felt like I was finally free from the unending battle with exhaustion. I have mentioned this a few times to my DR, who originally seemed interested but now I'm afraid thinks I must be just trying to get narcotics. The thing is, when I take half of a vicodin, I only need one adderall for the day instead of 3. Not only do I have more energy, but I am also hungry!! which is great to me!! (I'm very small stature to begin with, and the adderall causes me to lose my appetite.) Actually, I find myself going pretty much all day on my adderall until dinner, when I finally have the desire to eat a meal...then I CRASH and am done for the day (Although still sit staring at the TV and can't fall asleep for a while.)

ANywho, I digress. The point is, I really wish Vicodin and Percocet didn't have such a bad connotation. I mean I know that there are people who have struggled with addiction to these meds and I truly feel for them, but I have never had a problem when the "bottle ran out". I could take them for a week after a surgery, and then just move on. I never had any "withdrawl" or "drug seeking" behaviors...I just felt better on them!!

Well thank you again everyone for your replies. I'm off to bed!!

#26 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

i haven't taken vicodin so i cant comment on it specifically, however if i am in pain or not feeling well my eds is CRAZY. so, anything that helps with that greatly reduces my eds. i found this was even more so when i was on modafinil - any pain or stress and it did not work AT ALL. very disappointing

#27 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (sleepylisa @ May 28 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ANywho, I digress. The point is, I really wish Vicodin and Percocet didn't have such a bad connotation. I mean I know that there are people who have struggled with addiction to these meds and I truly feel for them, but I have never had a problem when the "bottle ran out". I could take them for a week after a surgery, and then just move on. I never had any "withdrawl" or "drug seeking" behaviors...I just felt better on them!!

Well thank you again everyone for your replies. I'm off to bed!!

I think a large number of people were probably fine when the bottle ran out. At first. My mom being one of them. She took medication for 15 years before she developed an addiction. Now that she has, she can't be without it. She thinks she is in so much pain when she is on them that she takes more and more. Truth is, she is in pain, but not as horrible as she acts. She has become a very different person, and was many different people while I was growing up. She started out just needing a little more, a little more, a little more, until she eventually was sneaking around going to different doctors and stealing from peoples medicine cabinets, etc. I could go on and on...

I know this may not be the case for everyone, but be careful. It doesn't take much to lose control.

#28 Bafflegab

Bafflegab

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

I've been taking Vicodan for back pain for years. I have not found them to be helpful at all for EDS. They are great for managing the pain but that's all.