Please help with this "I-don't-have-health-insurance" question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sadie

Sadie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

In order to spare you the details of a long, drawn out story of my life (an autobiography, if you will wink.gif ), I will list the obstacles I am encountering regarding my lack of insurance:

1) I was asleep when my cobra ended so now there's a lapse in coverage.

2) I am out of refills for Provigil and Xyrem and, well, paying full price for a visit to the neurologist isn't in my budget this lifetime.

Hmmm, that might be everything...I guess a list wasn't exactly necessary after all. Anyway, I was asleep when they sent out the memo about the cure for Narcolepsy, so I'm here trying to deal with it. Any suggestions about how I go about getting these meds (and getting insur)?

#2 kogeliz

kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Sadie @ Apr 29 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any suggestions about how I go about getting these meds (and getting insur)?

try NORD:
http://www.raredisea...rams/medication

#3 sleepylisa

sleepylisa

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

What state are you in? Are you employed? Have you thought about applying for medicaid? Ohio has a program for called Healthy Start that's actually for children, but when I went to sign up for my son I found out that I was also eligible. It has been a godsend!! Try looking into programs that your state of residence may provide. Good luck!!

#4 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (kogeliz @ Apr 29 2008, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice catch, Liz...you're one step ahead of me! smile.gif

Sadie (one of the best names in the world...also HAPPENS to be my daughter's name),

We all got novels to write. That's one of the cool uses of this forum! wink.gif
WRITE ON!!!!
smile.gif

-Stu

#5 xiola23

xiola23

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

I found this website that offers, by far, the cheapest meds anywhere I have found. It's hard being in the middle payscale and don't qualify for any state or federal aid. This program seems to have higher max's allowed for income. Provigil for me would be $12.99/month for 400mg a day....unfortunately Provigil didn't work for me, so I'm back to square one due to heart problems.
I'm not sure about the Xyrem being covered by this plan, but it's worth looking into.
Hope this helps out a bit!

http://www.freemedic...n.com/index.php

Also, check with your state assistance office (welfare?). They will have low to no cost health plan options for you that are generally state funded.
Good luck!
Kat

QUOTE (Sadie @ Apr 29 2008, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In order to spare you the details of a long, drawn out story of my life (an autobiography, if you will wink.gif ), I will list the obstacles I am encountering regarding my lack of insurance:

2) I am out of refills for Provigil and Xyrem and, well, paying full price for a visit to the neurologist isn't in my budget this lifetime.

Hmmm, that might be everything...I guess a list wasn't exactly necessary after all. Anyway, I was asleep when they sent out the memo about the cure for Narcolepsy, so I'm here trying to deal with it. Any suggestions about how I go about getting these meds (and getting insur)?

#6 Julie A

Julie A

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

Also, Jazz Pharmaceticals, the makers of Xyrem offers a Patient Assistance Program that helps patients pay for the Xyrem. I'm not sure of the details, but you might want to call them and find out. I'm sure we all know th-XYREMe number but here it is anyway.
1-866-XYREM88

Good Luck!

#7 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Based on your profile it looks like you are in Colorado. Check out http://www.chcpf.state.co.us/ to apply for Medicaid or other health programs that are available for people who need financial assistance.

For people from any state, you can find your state's Medical Assistance Office by visiting http://www.cms.hhs.gov/apps/contacts/
- Select your State in the top box
- Select "All Contact Types" in the Second Box
- Select "State Medical Assistance Office" in the Third Box
- Nothing in the 4th Box
And click on "Show Contacts."

#8 sleepygirl08

sleepygirl08

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Sadie @ Apr 29 2008, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also try contacting the manufacturers of Provigil and see if they offer a Patient Assistance Program. Hope this helps. Hang in there.