Photo

Do you drive?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you drive? (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you drive?

1. Yes (84 votes [77.06%])

Percentage of vote: 77.06%

2. No (25 votes [22.94%])

Percentage of vote: 22.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

Note: this is different than "Have you told the DMV...?" question. Simply, do you drive, yes or no. I think there is another thread discussing the ethics of our respective choices, so a simple check will do smile.gif.

Chris"Toph4er"

#2 sleepygirl08

sleepygirl08

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Toph4er @ Apr 21 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Note: this is different than "Have you told the DMV...?" question. Simply, do you drive, yes or no. I think there is another thread discussing the ethics of our respective choices, so a simple check will do smile.gif.

Chris"Toph4er"

No I don't drive. I haven't in four years. I feel trapped.

#3 Julie A

Julie A

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

No. I made an agreement with my neuro to not drive until my N is more controlled. Since I can't work at the moment, and live with hubby, it's a livable choice right now. I hope to have a better handle on things soon and maybe I'll vote again, if the poll thingie will let me rolleyes.gif .

#4 kogeliz

kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

Well, I did drive a lot. I was pretty drowsy in the mornings especially.
I love driving. It's such a good feeling.

A couple of years ago my car was stolen and torched at a time that I was late paying for insurance (read: no insurance).
Then I moved to Boston... where having a car is a pretty ridiculous idea.

So, I just figure there was a reason for my car being stolen... maybe something terrible would have happened if I fell asleep.

Now I just fall asleep on buses and trains.

#5 Bobbie

Bobbie

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Aromatherapy, Herbs, Rockhound, naturalist, artist

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

I had a perfect driving record until last year when I had a fender bender and I was very much awake. I have driven since I was 16 and I am 65 now. I have severe Narcolepsy/Cataplexy but have been fortunate enough to have doctors provide me with effective medications.

#6 daveislate

daveislate

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

Between general anxiety and sleepiness... and anxiety about my sleepiness, I have never felt comfortable or safe behind the wheel... Since I basically feel drunk when I'm sleepy, I think it's best that I not drive... I consider it a public service! I simply do not advocate drunk driving. wink.gif

#7 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (daveislate @ Apr 29 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Between general anxiety and sleepiness... and anxiety about my sleepiness, I have never felt comfortable or safe behind the wheel... Since I basically feel drunk when I'm sleepy, I think it's best that I not drive... I consider it a public service! I simply do not advocate drunk driving. wink.gif

lol...I once was carried out of Knott's Berry Farm (theme park in Cali) by my family/friends when I was nearly asleep and looked like I had a few *dozen* drinks too many I'm sure tongue.gif.

It's all about how confident you are about your alertness levels. Lately, I haven't been so confident that I can stay awake long enough to drive next door, but I don't drive anyways so it's no big deal for me wink.gif.

Chris"Toph4er"

#8 Ms.Vanna

Ms.Vanna

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (Bobbie @ Apr 27 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a perfect driving record until last year when I had a fender bender and I was very much awake. I have driven since I was 16 and I am 65 now. I have severe Narcolepsy/Cataplexy but have been fortunate enough to have doctors provide me with effective medications.

What medication are you on?

#9 Ms.Vanna

Ms.Vanna

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (daveislate @ Apr 29 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's extremely honorable and unselfish of you.

#10 Ms.Vanna

Ms.Vanna

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Toph4er @ May 1 2008, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol...I once was carried out of Knott's Berry Farm (theme park in Cali) by my family/friends when I was nearly asleep and looked like I had a few *dozen* drinks too many I'm sure tongue.gif .

It's all about how confident you are about your alertness levels. Lately, I haven't been so confident that I can stay awake long enough to drive next door, but I don't drive anyways so it's no big deal for me wink.gif .

Chris"Toph4er"

I definitely agree with you. There were times in my life when I didn't drive, but now that I live in a smaller city, I do. rolleyes.gif

#11 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

I don't have a Driving License.

My mother disencouraged me from driving lessons and applying for one.

Shame really cos driving looks so much fun. I wouldn't dream of driving under Narco, in fact I wouldn't even buy a car!

So why did I want a Driving License?

Because I think knowing how to drive is as important as knowing how to swim.

#12 sleepy.erin

sleepy.erin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:documentaries, comedies, crochet and knitting (although I stink at the latter), politics, current events, most kinds of music (sorry, not a country fan!), history, biographies, volunteering, human rights advocacy, naps, my boyfriend Jack, my cat Jax, video and computer games, spending time with my family, the Chicago White Sox, sudoku, crossword puzzles

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

In my humble opinion, I think the decision to drive or not is so case-by-case, much like how narcolepsy is displayed differently from one person to the next.

I do drive, but I refuse to drive if I am tired or know I will be tired while still out. For example, I have no qualms about driving to doctor's appointments (about 10 miles away) but will not drive if out for more than five hours or so.

Bottom line is that we all have to be confident enough, and realistic, in knowing our limits and making wise decisions accordingly. But I am sure we all do that anyway. Right? wink.gif

#13 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

I drive, but only when needed. And recently, I have been more open to handing the keys to the wife.

This can be a tricky issue, but being honest with myself, and being pragmatic, I trust my own judgement.

#14 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

I too drive, but don't feel comfortable driving for more than one hour during the day (and only on a rare occasion). I do NOT drive at night unless I absolutely have to do it. And, I only do it for short (10 miles or less) trips. I think sleepy.erin is right it is case by case often. Knowing our own limits is vital. Also, though, someone this weekend raised the point that some of us when we are too tired to drive likely lack the executive decision making skills to stop at that point.

#15 Shooze

Shooze

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:NIA - fusion fitness because I DEFY the notion that PWN are prone to being overweight.

LOVE Argentine Tango...learning more and more all the time!

In 2002 I got real with myself and started on a 3-year journey to fitness and health. I lost 45 pounds and have maintained weight, strength and flexibility for the past three years. I exercise three times a week, dance, eat reasonably, and drink LOTS of water.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:36 PM

Yes, but only at non-high volumn times and for only 20-30 minutes at a time. I avoid the highway. Afternoon is a bad drive time for me so I avoid that time slot. I do much better after the sun has gone down.

#16 m00se

m00se

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Urban exploring, Music, Photography, Sleep disorders, Neuroscience, Off-road biking, Norway, Moomins, Fun, Driving

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:25 AM

I drive. And I love it - stuff the environment. wink.gif lol.
I've not passed my test yet as I plan to take it in the spring when the days are a little lighter. Driving with N is such an achievement for me as for years before I was settled on my meds it was a big no-no. I'm much happier for it now.

#17 desertpond57

desertpond57

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (m00se @ Oct 12 2008, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I drive. And I love it - stuff the environment. wink.gif lol.
I've not passed my test yet as I plan to take it in the spring when the days are a little lighter. Driving with N is such an achievement for me as for years before I was settled on my meds it was a big no-no. I'm much happier for it now.

I still have my license for now but I haven't driven for a few months. In the past I could function just fine but in April I had an emotional situation which triggered automatic behavior. I pulled up to a red light to stop and the next thing I knew I was driving up the exit ramp on the freeway. Thank God no one was coming but it scared the hell out of me to think I could have killed someone.

#18 angellus

angellus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Feeling well.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (desertpond57 @ Oct 13 2008, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have my license for now but I haven't driven for a few months. In the past I could function just fine but in April I had an emotional situation which triggered automatic behavior. I pulled up to a red light to stop and the next thing I knew I was driving up the exit ramp on the freeway. Thank God no one was coming but it scared the hell out of me to think I could have killed someone.

yes driving.. no wrecks.

however i do miss riding the motorcycle...

#19 omllylisa

omllylisa

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

I do drive because I don't really have a choice where I live. I live in harbourtown that does not have a taxi company, subway, or bus system. However, I have had narcolepsy long enough to know WHEN I can drive and if I need to pull over or not. My head starts to bob when I feel an attack coming on. Sometimes my husband will see it before I'm even aware of it. I guess I've lived with it for so long that I have gotten used to my quick pick-me-up techniques that I don't even realize I'm doing them anymore. I cannot drive for anything longer than an hour straight, even when on my Provigil.

I don't see a problem with being able to drive because like I said, I know when I can and can't. The problem is in people who don't understand the disorder. It can actually lead to a whole heap of trouble if your not careful. For example, when I was 8 months pregnant, I got into a bad car accident. I was 100% alert at the time and I could have easily proven that I was not at fault. Problem was that I told the paramedic I had narcolepsy when he asked about any medical conditions I had and medication I was on. I didn't want to lie about it because that could have easily been found out if necessary. I had to accept a "failure to yield" ticket for fear that if I tried to fight it that they would blame the narcolepsy on the accident and argue that I shouldn't have been driving anyway and risk losing my license. I got lucky in that the other driver didn't even attempt to sue me. I think he felt sorry for me because I was pregnant and my 2 year old son was in the car with me at the time. To this day, however, my mother is not convinced that I did not fall asleep.

Bottom line is, go ahead and drive if you feel you can. Just be prepared that if you get into an accident, even if you did not fall asleep, that you will be risking being blamed because of your Narcolepsy. You should also check the laws in your state as some states do not allow narcoleptics to drive at all. So if you lie about it and you get into an accident, you could be in serious trouble.

#20 MyTwistedSister

MyTwistedSister

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

I drive but don't dare go any further than an hour from home. I don't want to get stuck somewhere and have to stop every 30 miles or so to sleep and or wake up. I used to drive 3 hours from home to go to an ex-f but it was very stressful because after about 20 minutes I'd start to get sleepy and it was hard to stay awake. I've had nano-seconds where I'm waking up with really scared when I realize one minute I'm awake and then not.

If I ever hurt anyone I'd never forgive myself.

I can slap myself, blast cold air and the radio, doesn't matter, if I'm gonna sleep I'm gonna sleep.