#1 jenny

jenny

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

[Admin has removed links considered to be advertising]

KARMIC DICTIONARY: Past Life Causes of Present Life Disorders

Narcolepsy
(Emotional - Sleep Disorder - Mismanaged Emotions)

[Admin has removed links considered to be advertising.]

Short Description
Causes
Symptoms
Advice
Case History

Short Description:
Narcolepsy
In Narcolepsy, a chronic sleep disorder, a Soul seeking greater advancement, "burdens" themselves with "excessive and overwhelming daytime sleepiness, even after adequate nighttime sleep" to assist them in honoring their emotions.

Causes: Those who contract Narcolepsy are more advanced Souls who, over many lives, have had a track record of "inappropriately" handling their emotions.

Emotions are "energy in motion" which are sent by our Higher Selves, guides, etc to "compel" us to take action (which is how karma is administered in the universe). In the normal course of evolution, by "trial and error", a Soul refines their ability to handle their emotions and thereby becomes progressively better at dealing them.

Yet some Souls become stuck in "inappropriate" patterns of coping with "emotionally upsetting events" and so have "agreed" to the extreme solution of Narcolepsy to "break themselves out" of these patterns. These are the patterns (the "ego defenses" as described by John Bradshaw in his book "Homecoming"):

- Denial which manifests as thinking like...
("the upsetting event is not really happening to me")
- Repression which manifests as thinking like...
("the upsetting event really never happened in the first place")
- Dissociation which manifests as thinking like...
("was there an upsetting event? I cannot seem to remember one")
- Projection which manifests as thinking like...
("the upsetting event is happening to anyone else but me")
- Minimizing which manifests as thinking like...
("the upsetting event happened but it is no big dealů so what?")
- Conversion which manifests as thinking like...
("the upsetting event will be OK after more sex, food, drugs")
One of the other inappropriate coping mechanisms of Narcoleptics is extreme anger when confronted with their own karmic responsibility. Like many other sufferers, they look for things outside of themselves to explain their situation as in "I was born without a piece of my brain... so that it is why Narcolepsy is happening to me... science says there is nothing I can do about it... poor little me..."

Yet there are many who accept the responsibility for their situation and in so doing become free of "their problem". For those who do not and cannot accept this, know that there are others in the same situation with the same biology and the same karma who have beaten this most difficult disorder... good for them! Symptoms: As those suffering from Narcolepsy will tell you, it is a terrible burden because they often will become "drowsy or fall asleep at inappropriate times and places." Basically, the Narcoleptic has lost control of the management of their consciousness because they do not "decide" to fall asleep, it just "happens" to them.

And it can happen anywhere, anytime, even when their attention is continually focused as when driving an automobile. Since they are not in full control of their awake consciousness, they are often unable to lead normal lives without ongoing outside assistance (with driving, being in public places, etc).

After Effects: Narcolepsy is usually a life sentence only for older Souls. The older the Soul, the more deeply entrenched their inappropriate emotional coping patterns are, the more they resist changing them, the longer it will take to overcome the "emotional body imbalance" that this disorder was designed to correct. Often it will take several lifetimes for the Soul to develop the emotional coping patterns needed to advance their spiritual development. Once the emotions are properly managed in a future incarnation, the individual will emerge stronger for the experience. For they will finally be able to move fully forward in their growth as Soul.

Advice: Although Narcolepsy can be "treated with medicine", these treatments will reduce symptoms without doing anything to address their causes. The only way to discover the causes of "narcoleptic episodes" is for the person having them to carefully monitor their thoughts and feelings just prior to an attack. By recording these in a journal, one of the "inappropriate" emotional coping patterns will emerge.

The truth is that a "narcoleptic episode" is the penalty imposed by the Higher Self whenever the individual uses their habitual emotional coping pattern to respond to any given situation. Having the individual fall asleep just after the pattern is "fallen back on" cannot fail but to get the narcoleptic's attention.

Case History: "I never had a problem sleeping until I went to college. My father had been a straight A student there. There was a lot of pressure on me to follow in his footsteps. I was determined to do well even though I was not excited about pursuing my father's profession. It was about halfway through the first semester when I started falling asleep in class. I was not a party girl and always got enough sleep. So the nurse just told me it was some flu but it got worse and worse."

"The more upset I got, the worse the sleep problem got. Then it started happening not just in class but everywhere. I almost got into a car accident when I went for help. The counselor got me to see that my talents and my true happiness lay elsewhere and I should follow them where they led despite what father wanted for me. Only when I did, did my sleep problem go away."

#2 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I like Drama , Art , Sleeping , Biology and Tae Kwon Do.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hmmm...Cool, did you get this on Wikipedia?

#3 jenny

jenny

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

I am sick of the ignorance and demeaning attitudes that exist towards Narcolepsy. It is websites like this that lead people to misconceptions that negatively affect the way Narcoleptics are viewed by society.

#4 jenny

jenny

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

The point is how many people believe everything they read on Wikipedia?

WAY TOO MANY

#5 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hey! Hold it RIGHT THERE! what do you mean "sites like these"? First of all, There is nothing at all wrong with this Forum and Second This Forum DOES NOT in anyway show the Negative or Bad Side of Narcolepsy its just a Forum to share other peoples experiences with having Narcolepsy. If you don't like this Forum, Don't come back.

#6 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Oh, And one more thing... I do not believe everything I see on Wikipedia.

#7 Andrea Egan

Andrea Egan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:gardening, music, cooking, sleeping.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

There is always going to be misconceptions and negative viewpoints about narcolepsy. It's that way with anything. I guess the more important message to take from this is how critical our role is in portraying the real story. In the end, what's more credible--nonsense from Buddhist metaphysical philosophy (or worse: SNL/comedy central) or the real McCoy?

#8 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

True.

#9 sleepyavon

sleepyavon

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Disability Activism, Narcolepsy, Fibromyalgia, RA, lipstick, fragrance, sports, FUN!, Xyrem, Cataplexy

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:51 PM

Sites like this... Narcolepsy Network, the only organization which stands up for PWNs?!!! rolleyes.gif

#10 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

jenny and posters,

I totally appreciate how you feel. While I don't fully subscribe to it, I believe all points of view are important.
Everyone that replied to this post has narcolepsy. I think it's possible YOU might have the misconception about narcolepsy. I know first hand that the people who responded know exactly what it is to them.

We can agree...
we can disagree...

Respect for differing opinions needs to be applied ...please.

Wikipedia? The person that contributed the definition may also be the same person that penned the definition for "Star Track".
It can be a little crazy to accept wikipedia as the gospel...that would make no sense at all. It CAN be a good place to start a dialog though.

#11 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:41 AM

Oh...and about your "sites like this" comment?

I'm not offended by your critisism...I actually LOVE counterpoints of view.
I'm offended by the thought that there are other sites like ours!

We are the one and only Narcolepsy Network...
Accept no substitutes, people. Accept no substitutes.
cool.gif

smile.gif

#12 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

I agree with most of the re-post, but not all of it. It sounds like it was obviously written by someone without narcolepsy though.

#13 Narcolepsy Network

Narcolepsy Network

• Root Admin
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

Dear Jenny:

We could easily have deleted your messages since the first contained advertising (links to a commercial site offering "sessions" to heal one's past lives, which brings into question the real purpose for your post), and the second is unnecessarily derogatory, but doing so would be inconsistent with our policy to respect the views and belief systems of each of our participants.

You may or may not wish to explore the solid medical evidence that exists to support the classification of narcolepsy as a medical disorder. You may present your views from a personal perspective and discuss why you reject alternative views. However, if you wish to continue participating in this forum, you may not undermine its purpose by attempting to invalidate the views of others or the mission of Narcolepsy Network.

NN Admin

#14 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (sleepyavon @ Apr 16 2008, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sites like this... Narcolepsy Network, the only organization which stands up for PWNs?!!! rolleyes.gif

Amen.

#15 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

I'm not sure if I missed something before the very first post was edited...but I believe the "sites like this" was referring to the website this article came from...not directed at the NN site...

#16 sleepylama

sleepylama

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:11 AM

Well, this may or may not be the best thread to be my 2nd post on the forum, but hey, gotta start somewhere right?

I am a believer in Buddism, as well as other forms of Eastern Philosophy. In many years of personal study and instruction through college, I have never seen anything like what is written in the first post here portraying Buddhist philosophy or Karma in traditionally accepted writings. Teachings from the Dalai Lama himself are very different from what is listed here.

I only felt compelled to post here because we all understand the misconceptions of our illness with people who are unfamiliar; it seems we wouldn't want to continue ignorances or misconceptions of spiritual beliefs either and when I was reading that, even from a purely educational perspective, I thought it just didn't sound like traditional beliefs (some off-shoot or otherwise, maybe?).

PS--I grew up Southern Baptist, so it was my own journey to learn about other belief systems in a search to understand those who were not like me and my own ignorances. Little did I know, that would later include Narcolepsy and Ankylosing Spondylitis...I am no longer ignorant to disabilities as well. wink.gif

#17 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (sleepylama @ Apr 27 2008, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, this may or may not be the best thread to be my 2nd post on the forum, but hey, gotta start somewhere right?

I am a believer in Buddism, as well as other forms of Eastern Philosophy. In many years of personal study and instruction through college, I have never seen anything like what is written in the first post here portraying Buddhist philosophy or Karma in traditionally accepted writings. Teachings from the Dalai Lama himself are very different from what is listed here.

I only felt compelled to post here because we all understand the misconceptions of our illness with people who are unfamiliar; it seems we wouldn't want to continue ignorances or misconceptions of spiritual beliefs either and when I was reading that, even from a purely educational perspective, I thought it just didn't sound like traditional beliefs (some off-shoot or otherwise, maybe?).

PS--I grew up Southern Baptist, so it was my own journey to learn about other belief systems in a search to understand those who were not like me and my own ignorances. Little did I know, that would later include Narcolepsy and Ankylosing Spondylitis...I am no longer ignorant to disabilities as well. wink.gif

You have Ankylosing Spondylitis too? Well, not sure if I have it, but my mom is diagnosed with it and even at 19 I have a lot of joint trouble including the stiffness and pain. Could be a variety of things but the AS seems most likely since it is in the family. I have never been tested for it though.

#18 Julie A

Julie A

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

I don't know about all of you, and I can agree to disagree, but this article is disgusting. And I also think Jenny was refering to the site the article came from as demeaning Narcoleptics.
Am I to believe that my N is a punishment for the fact that in a nutshell, I am an ancient screw-up?
I am sorry, but looking to science, religion, or the "evrything happens for a reason", or any other healthy and objective view of this disorder is HEALTHY, not being irresponsible.

Blaming yourself for having this diagnosis is nothing short of sadistic and maybe I'm the one being closed minded but I don't see how you can move forward and achieve happiness and the ability to cope with N by saying, "Well, maybe this'll teach me."

By the way, I'm willing to bet the person who wrote this article does not have N.

#19 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:11 AM

You know what's funny, a psychic once told my mom that I have a very old soul laugh.gif.

#20 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

Yeah, the post was pointing out a site...I probably could have figured that out if I would have read a little closer. There is SOOO much bad information out there. I wonder if the community could support a forum on links to bad information about N and C.