37 replies to this topic

#21 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Use to be Karate, swimming and cars

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (bagpuss @ Aug 1 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THE MIDLANDS IS A GOOD PLACE,AS ITS IN THE MIDDLE .LOL . smile.gif NOTHING TO DO WITH ITS EASY FOR ME. biggrin.gif ALSO MY EX SAYS WE CAN HAVE IT AT HIS HOUSE .BIG GARDEN SO PEOPLE COULD ALWAYS BRING TENTS IF THEY WANTED TO.ITS NOT MUCH BUT ITS A START AS FOR THE DATE HAVNT A CLUE. unsure.gif

Midlands is fine with me, if your ex would be willing then great, I would bring a tent, good to have something to look ahead to.
As for date well that would depend on your ex and when others would be available.
There is enough people viwing this topic so come on where is the rest of you in uk come on don't be shy...

#22 petra

petra

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:28 AM

Hi Bagpuss and Damian,

Ta, Bagpuss for looking at UKAN site. Your ex's place sounds just right, that's really kind of him.
I was looking around for a place with all the same things - somewhere people could camp, that had rooms as well. And someplace private enough so we can get a rest from frightening people with C, HH nappin - well I don't care so much about scaring people these days, but it'd be just lovely to have a social space that gives a rest from attempting explanations when I'm too out of it to string a sentence together.

I'd been thinking of retreat and workshop places, or farms and communities that do camping and indoor accomodation too, camping barns or hostels we could book to ourselves. But all that could cost a bit.

I could make the midlands on a good week. But can't be sure. If enough people get involved, would we want to be having a few meetings in different areas? Maybe that's got to be something we can do later.

Petra

#23 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE (petra @ Aug 2 2008, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Bagpuss and Damian,

Ta, Bagpuss for looking at UKAN site. Your ex's place sounds just right, that's really kind of him.
I was looking around for a place with all the same things - somewhere people could camp, that had rooms as well. And someplace private enough so we can get a rest from frightening people with C, HH nappin - well I don't care so much about scaring people these days, but it'd be just lovely to have a social space that gives a rest from attempting explanations when I'm too out of it to string a sentence together.

I'd been thinking of retreat and workshop places, or farms and communities that do camping and indoor accomodation too, camping barns or hostels we could book to ourselves. But all that could cost a bit.

I could make the midlands on a good week. But can't be sure. If enough people get involved, would we want to be having a few meetings in different areas? Maybe that's got to be something we can do later.

Petra

Hello petra

I have tried to ring UKAN today and yesterday left messages my email etc and haven't heard anything as of yet.The only reason for maybe different meetings in different areas is for other people who aren't fortunate enough to get transport to the midlands and who would not feel comfortable travelling on public transport, All we need like you say is for more of the people around to attend when a date is confirmed between all of us. Lets see if we can all get to this one first and what interest others show..

#24 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:ROCK CLIMBING ,CYCLING AND WATCHING MY SON PLAY RUGBY

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

THANKS FOR YOUR IN PUT PETRA. rolleyes.gif WHERE IS IT THAT YOU WOULD BE COMING FROM ? I AGREE WITH DIFFERENT AREAS AFTER WE HAVE GOT OURSELFS UP AND RUNNING AND KNOW WHAT WE WANT AND HOW WE WANT TO GO ABOUT IT. smile.gif (ANOTHER WEEKEND AWAY DAMIAN) TOLD YOU I WILL MAKE YOU STRONG.LOL tongue.gif

#25 petra

petra

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

I'm out of it today - and my language skills are *BEEP*, sorry if I don't make total sense or just sound odd(er than usual)

I'd be coming from Scotland. I'm not always safe on public transport. And I also do quite a lot of getting on the wrong train and reading timetables wrong, missing stops, stranding myself. Money could be a factor for some of us. And travelling far is knackering - limits brainpower for communicating.
If there's not loads of people wanting other meetings closer to where they are, then I'm very happy setting off and aiming in the direction of the midlands and see what happens - I'm in need of an adventure.
don't you feel sorry for these people who have to row across the atlantic or something to find their limits?

Hope UKAN get back to you soon Damian. They always took a while but answered me in the end. I'm wondering if they have a big volume of correspondence. And if everyone there has N, I can see why it could take a while. If we got a date sorted, do you think UKAN would e/mail members - for people who don't check the boards.

Ta for making things happen

Petra

#26 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (petra @ Aug 2 2008, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I'm out of it today - and my language skills are *BEEP*, sorry if I don't make total sense or just sound odd(er than usual)

I'd be coming from Scotland. I'm not always safe on public transport. And I also do quite a lot of getting on the wrong train and reading timetables wrong, missing stops, stranding myself. Money could be a factor for some of us. And travelling far is knackering - limits brainpower for communicating.
If there's not loads of people wanting other meetings closer to where they are, then I'm very happy setting off and aiming in the direction of the midlands and see what happens - I'm in need of an adventure.
don't you feel sorry for these people who have to row across the atlantic or something to find their limits?

Hope UKAN get back to you soon Damian. They always took a while but answered me in the end. I'm wondering if they have a big volume of correspondence. And if everyone there has N, I can see why it could take a while. If we got a date sorted, do you think UKAN would e/mail members - for people who don't check the boards.

Ta for making things happen

Petra

IT was started by Bagpuss all the cred big hug
I cant make this happen nor can anyone else.unless we all come together. then things can happen.
I appreciate the travel distance and problems I could try to get the train times and platform numbers if that would help with confusion. Cause I be the same have to ask fifty different people before i sit down is going........

As for UKAN when they get intouch, I will ask if they would do that and if not see if there would be anyway I could try to get message to them.let you know

#27 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:33 AM

GOOD LUCK WITH UKAN GUYS.WHEN THE T.V CREW THAT WENT OUT TO THE STATES TRIED IT TOOK THEM AGES TO EVEN GET BACK TO THEM,BUT I MUST THINK POSITIVE.BUT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I REALLY WANT TO DO AND SEE THROUGH FOR ALL OF US.IM GOING TO GO THROUGH THE MEMBERS LIST ON HERE IN A MIN AND SEND A MESSAGE TO ANY FELLOW BRITS rolleyes.gif

#28 petra

petra

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:20 AM

re - making things happen - that's me making confusion, trying to talk when my brain gears keep slipping I was meaning - thanks to yous for starting this off.

And cheers for offering to help with times and platforms - When I've time I can get that bit done. I've just got to have a lucky day when I set off, or just be happy with having a w/e in Llandudno.

I think there'll be loads of people wanting to come.

#29 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (petra @ Aug 3 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
re - making things happen - that's me making confusion, trying to talk when my brain gears keep slipping I was meaning - thanks to yous for starting this off.

And cheers for offering to help with times and platforms - When I've time I can get that bit done. I've just got to have a lucky day when I set off, or just be happy with having a w/e in Llandudno.

I think there'll be loads of people wanting to come.

well if you know of anyone who else on sites from uk with our conditions the more the better.

#30 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (excuses @ May 29 2008, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi U.K. members,
Several posts have indicated that online support is not available for Narcoleptics in the U.K. I discovered this website awhile back when I was looking for more information on this disorder. The information was very helpful and have used it several times to educate others. They do provide contact information that might be helpful in finding the support you are looking for in the U.K. rolleyes.gif

http://www.narcoleps...employment.html

UKAN..........YES WE KNOW ABOUT UKAN AND EACH TO THERE OWN. I READ THIS POST AWEEK OR TO AGO AND THOUGHT IT BEST NOT TO COMMENT.BUT SORRY ,THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY ,NEVER GET BACK TO YOU......BUT ENOUGHS ENOUGH A CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS BETTER THAN ME ,AS HE KEEPS GIVING THEM ANOTHER CHANCE.HE HAS OFFERED TO HELP IF THEY NEED HELP WITH THE SITE ,STILL NOTHING.WE HAVE MADE PHONE CALLS ETC.IF YOU POST SOMETHING ON HERE THERE IS ALWAYS AN ANSWER.SO SORRY WE ARE NOT THICK BUT I WILL STICK TO A SITE THAT GIVES YOU HOPE AND SURPPORT 24/7

MY FRIEND NEEDED UKAN LAST WEEKEND MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW.. LUCKY FOR HIM HE FOUND ME .WHERE YOU MIGHT ASK, ON A GREAT SITE CALLED NARCOLEPSY NETWORK COMMUNITY smile.gif

#31 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

So if you guys do get a site for support in the UK going, does that mean you will leave us? sad.gif

I like having people from other countries here. not only cuz I like you guys...

But because it seems to me that if diffrent countries are working on finding drugs or cures, Then having people from there bring it up is a good way to learn about that information. I once saw a TV show talking about Hypocretin transplants or transfusions or something. I think that was going on in the UK.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I dont remember it to well... I probably fell asleep. lol.

#32 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 4 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if you guys do get a site for support in the UK going, does that mean you will leave us? sad.gif

But because it seems to me that if diffrent countries are working on finding drugs or cures, Then having people from there bring it up is a good way to learn about that information. I once saw a TV show talking about Hypocretin transplants or transfusions or something. I think that was going on in the UK.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I dont remember it to well... I probably fell asleep. lol.

As for as I know Stu was gunna make a forum/sub forum of this site for us in the uk.I pay for a domain. So if possible then we will stay posting on here.There is a sight for us it is called UKAN but even after paying subscription fee, The site is dead now no support everyone is moving to this site or another.
I know there is studys going on regarding hypocretin but if the speed of the doctors in the uk is anything to go by then we in for a long long long time

#33 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

We will stay for now Stu is ment to be putting a sub forum on this site for us from the uk. Will still be altogether.
I know hypocretin is being researched but not here I found someone who is doing it in canada.

#34 janetj

janetj

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:48 PM

Hi! I have found you all , great idea to set this up Damian.

Regarding the hypocretin transfusions, there is a really good doctor in Scotland who has done some work with children with n. His name is DR Sameer Zuberi. (Glasgow childrens hospital)
If you google his name you will find out some info. on what he has done so far. (I think that the Cutting Edge program took his 'sleep nurse' over to NN with a young lad who has n?). So he sounds a very proactive doctor.

We have a 5 year old daughter with possible n. We are currently living in Cornwall, and struggling with her issues, particularly education. We have not ruled out relocation to be nearer someone like him in the future. A lovely mum from NN is helping us at the moment with issues.

Well done to NN to help the U.K , I am very greatful to you for everything.

#35 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (janetj @ Aug 6 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi! I have found you all , great idea to set this up Damian.

Regarding the hypocretin transfusions, there is a really good doctor in Scotland who has done some work with children with n. His name is DR Sameer Zuberi. (Glasgow childrens hospital)
If you google his name you will find out some info. on what he has done so far. (I think that the Cutting Edge program took his 'sleep nurse' over to NN with a young lad who has n?). So he sounds a very proactive doctor.

We have a 5 year old daughter with possible n. We are currently living in Cornwall, and struggling with her issues, particularly education. We have not ruled out relocation to be nearer someone like him in the future. A lovely mum from NN is helping us at the moment with issues.

Well done to NN to help the U.K , I am very greatful to you for everything.

I cannot take the credit Bagpuss gave me the push and is the person that supported me 100% when I was really low due to my condition in posts through out this site.. so I cannot stress how much of a jump start I got. Bagpuss is of at moment be back on in a couple of days so if any problems or im not available then you can contact Bagpuss instead of me.
But the biggest praise of all should go to the ADMINISTRATION TEAM ON NNC for allowing us
to post on there site. Thanks very much GREATBIG47.

#36 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

NO WAY ohmy.gif ,IF US BRITS EVER DO GET ANYTHING OFF THE GROUND WE WOULD NEVER LEAVE THIS SITE.SORRY GUYS I AM HERE TO STAY.ITS THE BEST....... ON MY NEW LEAFLETS ITS THIS SITE I HAVE NOW PUT ON THEM. smile.gif

#37 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (bagpuss @ Aug 20 2008, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO WAY ohmy.gif ,IF US BRITS EVER DO GET ANYTHING OFF THE GROUND WE WOULD NEVER LEAVE THIS SITE.SORRY GUYS I AM HERE TO STAY.ITS THE BEST....... ON MY NEW LEAFLETS ITS THIS SITE I HAVE NOW PUT ON THEM. smile.gif

I totally agree we are here to stay thanks STU. UKAN are really uptight and are threatening to kick us off as some of my posts are negative and I told someone else to do there research before adding there comment that was made directly at me. We that are already here are here to stay and will not be going anywhere.

#38 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 4 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None of us would ever leave the NNC its our second home, even when our uk site was running it would get direct link straight to here.