Photo

Support.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I like Drama , Art , Sleeping , Biology and Tae Kwon Do.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

Hey all, Is anyone Interested in making a support group in the uk?

#2 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I like Drama , Art , Sleeping , Biology and Tae Kwon Do.

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

Or Maybe even a Help Forum?

#3 Guest_Guest_kirbs_*_*

Guest_Guest_kirbs_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Cryopathic @ Apr 16 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or Maybe even a Help Forum?

Hi,

I think my husband may be interested, we live in Cumbria

#4 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Guest_kirbs_* @ Apr 21 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I think my husband may be interested, we live in Cumbria

Not to stray off topic....
It has been brilliantly suggested (by Sam) that an online version specifically for my brothers and sisters in the UK be added .
If I do that, I'll want to do it right. Which would mean some time. If I get asked about the forum 2.0...it will have a geo-specific options.

If I get a chance, I'll start a post asking what people think. I liked the idea, i just want some input on how and why it should happen.

-Stu

#5 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

What about live chats scheduled by where you live? I know there is another message board which has weekly chats, though I have never participated

#6 Sam.Toombs

Sam.Toombs

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:I am currently studying International Criminology at Sheffield University here in the UK and however dull that may sound i actually do enjoy it.<br /><br />I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy/Cataplexy when i was about 19 and i do appreciate the friendships across the globe that this has brought me.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:05 AM

definately interested - of course i live in Sheffield ... lovely lovely sheffield.

#7 Guest_Guest_bagpuss_*_*

Guest_Guest_bagpuss_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

OK GUYS IVE BEEN OFF LINE FOR A WEEK AND THE BRITS HAVE INVADED. rolleyes.gif YES IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA IN ONE WAY AS WE ARE IN THE DARK AGES.LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM ANY OF YOU AND HOW THE N.H.S HASNT A CLUE !!!!! NOT IN THE MIDLANDS ANYWAY.I THINK WE SHOULD JUST ALL UP STICKS AND JUST MOVE TO THE STATES........ smile.gif

#8 excuses

excuses

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

Hi U.K. members,
Several posts have indicated that online support is not available for Narcoleptics in the U.K. I discovered this website awhile back when I was looking for more information on this disorder. The information was very helpful and have used it several times to educate others. They do provide contact information that might be helpful in finding the support you are looking for in the U.K. rolleyes.gif

http://www.narcoleps...employment.html

#9 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

I am living in the Uk and until I saw a tv programme on Narcolepsy I had never heard of it. I have had N for 29 years and only being diagnosed for five of these. I had developed coping mechanisms and with my dad always falling asleep as soon as he sat down (probably due to working long mixed shifts) I didn't think nothing of it. My mum was ill with MS and my nanna, I thought was old also both slept a lot. It was only my daughter getting older and starting living with someone that I realised that sleeping at least 14 hours a day was not the norm. I thought eveyone had vivid nightmares/dreams and automatic behaviour. When I tell people that I have N and had to give my job up and have no social life, the people that have heard of it think you just fall asleep in your meals. I think a support group would be good as even friends and family (apart from the ones that I live with) still think that I am lazy and a woman of liesure. This really gets to me even though I know they are ignorant, but they shouldn't be as I have explained the condition to them in simple terms.

#10 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:ROCK CLIMBING ,CYCLING AND WATCHING MY SON PLAY RUGBY

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

HI . TOO EXHAUSTED .I ARGREE WITH WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ,BUT IT TAKES TIME.EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.I HAVE FRIENDS AND CLOSE FAMILY THAT HAVNT GOT A CLUE NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TALK TO THEM.IVE GOT 2 SONS ,ONE WHO WONT TALK ABOUT IT AND HATES IT EVEN IF I BRING THE N WORD UP.BUT THEN IM BLESSED WITH MY YOUNGER SON,WHO KNOWS ME AND MY NARCOLEPSEY INSIDE OUT AND MAKES SURE THAT SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE.I FELL ASLEEP AT HIS RUGBY MATCH LAST MONTH,ONE OF HIS TEAM MATES LAUGHED AND SAID DID I FIND IT THAT BORING !!!!!! AFTER MATCH TEAM TALK WASNT ABOUT THE GAME,IT WAS ABOUT NARCOLEPSY.LOL.ITS GREAT,THEY NOW ASK SO MANY QU,S .ALSO SOME OF THERE PARENTS ARE SLOWLY COMING UP ASWELL. ITS JUST GOING TO TAKE TIME.

#11 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Use to be Karate, swimming and cars

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:52 AM

[yeah come on lets get one going for the UK., UKAN ain't doing anything, and if it stays that way then I would be willing to make the site. As for the brits invading well its take over time go UK.

#12 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:19 AM

GO FOR IT MATE. WITHOUT THIS SITE AND STU I DONT THINK THAT I WOULD OF BEEN HERE TODAY.(THANKS STU wink.gif )FELLOW BRITS MITE NOT BE SO LUCKY TO COME ACROSS THIS SITE. ALTHO I TELL EVERYONE I MEET .DOCTORS ALWAYS GIVE YOU UKAN........KEEP ME POSTED

#13 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

wouldn't mean to disrespect stu, maybe we can stop "invading" them. I to am very grateful for the information and replies that everyone has done, Need a Name for site?

#14 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

DAMAIN IVE TRIED TO SEND YOU MESSAGES, sad.gif DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING WRONG BUT IT WONT LET ME. I WILL KEEP TRYING.HOPE TO CHAT SOON .

#15 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

don't think my settings were right try it again if not then email me ar damianbill@btinternet.com okay,

#16 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE (Damian @ Jul 30 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wouldn't mean to disrespect stu, maybe we can stop "invading" them. I to am very grateful for the information and replies that everyone has done, Need a Name for site?

None taken! smile.gif

If a UK site is what you guys are lookin' to do, please feel free to use me as a resource...for hosting...or...whatever!
I like to think of this forum as the GLOBAL place...
So please...INVADE AWAY!

I'm still trying to get this place to where I want it, and I like the non-American influence...
wink.gif

#17 petra

petra

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:11 AM

Hi,
I was reading the UKAN board but can't work out how to post there - not sure if the problem's with the new site or my head - If yous were meeting in the north of England, I'd like to come too!

#18 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:22 AM

UKAN.......I THINK AGAIN THAT THEY ARE HAVING PROBLEMS. DONT KNOW AS I DONT USE THEM,BUT IVE JUST HAD A LOOK TO SEE IF I COULD HELP YOU. JUST AN IDEA GUYS . BUT AS YOU KNOW BIG GET TOGETHER IN THE STATES IN OCTOBER .IM SAVING HARD AS THIS TIME IM NOT MISSING OUT..........(LONG STORY) BUT WHY DONT WE TRY AND SORT OUT A GET TOGETHER AROUND THE SAME TIME,INFORMLY LIKE AND SEE WHERE IT TAKES US AND WHAT WE WANT TO DO.(DAMAIN THIS COULD BE YOUR 1ST WEEKEND AWAY) LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK XX

#19 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (bagpuss @ Aug 1 2008, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UKAN.......I THINK AGAIN THAT THEY ARE HAVING PROBLEMS. DONT KNOW AS I DONT USE THEM,BUT IVE JUST HAD A LOOK TO SEE IF I COULD HELP YOU. JUST AN IDEA GUYS . BUT AS YOU KNOW BIG GET TOGETHER IN THE STATES IN OCTOBER .IM SAVING HARD AS THIS TIME IM NOT MISSING OUT..........(LONG STORY) BUT WHY DONT WE TRY AND SORT OUT A GET TOGETHER AROUND THE SAME TIME,INFORMLY LIKE AND SEE WHERE IT TAKES US AND WHAT WE WANT TO DO.(DAMAIN THIS COULD BE YOUR 1ST WEEKEND AWAY) LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK XX

Totally agree I cannot make the meeting in the states. but are willing to be part of an informal get together to see how it works we need to agree on location, date etc......

#20 bagpuss

bagpuss

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

THE MIDLANDS IS A GOOD PLACE,AS ITS IN THE MIDDLE .LOL . smile.gif NOTHING TO DO WITH ITS EASY FOR ME. biggrin.gif ALSO MY EX SAYS WE CAN HAVE IT AT HIS HOUSE .BIG GARDEN SO PEOPLE COULD ALWAYS BRING TENTS IF THEY WANTED TO.ITS NOT MUCH BUT ITS A START AS FOR THE DATE HAVNT A CLUE. unsure.gif