kogeliz

Annoying things co-workers say to you

143 posts in this topic

Coworker's baby has been keeping him up all night for the last few days and he's an utter wreck because of it. He asked me if that's what I feel like and I said "On a daily basis, pretty much". His response was "Holy *@#^, how do you even function?!"

I love it when someone finally understands. It's like finally being acquitted from an unjust accusation, if only for a moment.

PISSES ME OFF so bad when people say "Oh i'm so jealous of you! I can't sleep!" ugh jerks. If they knew what they were saying. or "I wish I had narcolepsy" I lose my *BEEP* on that one. I go into a narcolepsy rant lol

Mine are from classmates and my instructor at a trade school:

"You need to treat this like a job, you wouldn't be late to a job." - Instructor (And for reference, I do tend to be late to my job but they understand.)

"Set your alarm earlier." and "If you can't get to school on time, maybe you shouldn't take the class.  I know you have a disability, but..." - Student that I did not allow to finish her statement.

I feel better knowing that I am not the only person that gets treated this way.

The worst thing I've heard so far was when I let Medical know at my Guard Base that I had Narcolepsy.

I had explained it to my supervisors and they seemed to grasp it pretty well and assured me that it should go over fairly well with Medical due to my exemplary performance there.

When I finally had the meeting with the Flight Doctor, he said "I read over the diagnosis and treatment plan you had faxed in. I think that you're a danger to yourself and everyone else that works with you. I stated that in the paperwork that I just submitted and I also recommended that you be removed from duty and that you should not be allowed to serve in any of the Armed Forces."

He quoted Sleep Paralysis as being a serious threat.

He didn't even discuss anything with me, he just let me know what he thinks and is doing.

So despite the awards I've received and the A-10 with my name painted on the side of it, I'm still out :(

In my part time job, the most annoying things I've heard are:

"Why don't you just drink more coffee if you're tired?"

"Have you tried warm milk? I hear that warming it makes a chemical that puts you to sleep"

I came in to work to let a co-worker know that he needs to stop texting me in the middle of the night.

"Oh sorry, I thought you told me you had insomnia"

SillyBrain - I am sorry about your experience.  I believe a structured environment like the military would be very good for someone like me.  I like direction, I strive to be the best of the best, and I respect authority (as long as they do not abuse their authority).  It's a shame the Flight Doctor reacted in such an extreme manner, especially considering your performance and desire to stay.  I hope you get the appreciation you deserve.

As someone with Cataplexy, I can certainly see their point. I would not want to be in any situation where others' lives or safety were dependent upon me. If I cannot rely upon my body to respond in an urgent situation, how could others rely upon my response.

I think it is sad and unfortunate. This illness can be very disruptive- especially when our lives and livelihoods are not well matched to it. I am going through a major re shuffle in my life for those reasons.

We will get through it- and better for it.

Ditto what Hank said. It doesn't matter how well you have performed your job in the past nor how many commendations you have received. Narcolepsy with or without cataplexy is a life changer...especially when other people's lives depend on you having your $hit together. We are unpredictable even when medicated. Could you live with the guilt?

Oh I agree with being responsible for others' lives, but for the Flight Doctor to remove him completely from all Armed Forces is extreme.  I am sure that most anyone is very capable of doing something in the military, especially if they already have experience and perform well.

It was somewhat recent. The military has been wonderful for me, especially the structure of it. Clearly defined goals and steps to take to move up are right in front of you. Constantly being on my feet working never gave me a chance to even think about being tired.

After typing out my initial post, and reading the input you've all provided, I agree with the doctor. It kind of shocked me initially, but I'm realizing that he's right. I've at no point looked at myself as someone with a hindering disability. Regardless of what I would've said, he presented the bottom line. If I did end up hurting anyone or caused any sort of an accident, I'm sure the guilt would wreck me. Considering what my job was, I really should be happy that I'm out before anything horrible could have happened.

Perhaps I should be more realistic in my view of Narcolepsy and accept the reality of having this condition.

I really do appreciate your input Nikcoal, Hank, and Ferret.

Perhaps I should be more realistic in my view of Narcolepsy and accept the reality of having this condition.

That line breaks my heart.  :c

Please, don't let Narcolepsy defeat you.  Is it life changing?  Yes.  But it doesn't mean it is the end.

I just got my first shipment of Xyrem in the mail today.  For the first time in months, I can't wait to go to bed and wake up in the morning.  Will it take time?  Most likely.  But I'm young and since I can't work much right now because of my Narcolepsy, I have plenty of time.

This is the first time in my life I am optimistic about a medication.  Sure, I always believed my doctor and took what she prescribed me.  But after talking with my doctor at length about Xyrem, reading all the materials and personal accounts I could, I am borderline excited to try it.

I have struggled through many things in my fairly short life, and I have always come out on top.  I bet if you think about it, you'll see that in yourself.  Keep your chin up!

Remember the very old saying..."when one door closes, another one opens".

And it's really OK to mourn the loss of a career that you loved and all the other things that are "lost" because of N. But you can't mourn forever. Think of it as an opportunity to try something new. There are a lot of people who have lost their jobs or people who have lost their homes through no fault of their own and they don't have N. Human beings are remarkably resilient....please don't be an exception to the rule.

Wherever anyone goes in life, always get a letter of reference. They are wonderful to look back on with pride...and they serve to remind you that you're not a brainless lump.

There's no defeat to be found here, just acceptance of my circumstance. I've already enrolled in classes so I'm back on my way to getting a degree. Also, I will finally be able to see what I look like with a beard. 

:)

Insert smiley giving two thumbs up here.

Way to go Sillybrain! LOVE your attitude!

I think we are a very resilient bunch. I have a lot of respect for you SB.

That's the spirit!

I usually get the, "Why do you always sound like you just woke up?"

Or "you have a(n) [insert wear my face was resting] imprint."

When I say I feel my eyes burning, "drink [something we've already tried way before we knew it was a disorder]"