kogeliz

Annoying things co-workers say to you

143 posts in this topic

I was reading all of your stories and am embarrassed to even be a part of the human race sometimes. It is Appalling to believe that people can treat us and others this way. It makes me very angry. I posted a special song for all of you in the music section.

Here is a link:

The best song you will ever hear

Get this song in your head. Let it run through your veins. And sing it out loud driving in your cars on the way to work. Sing it on the bus or Train if you have too. Rebellion is ON!!!!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!

I was reading all of your stories and am embarrassed to even be a part of the human race sometimes. It is Appalling to believe that people can treat us and others this way. It makes me very angry. I posted a special song for all of you in the music section.

Here is a link:

Get this song in your head. Let it run through your veins. And sing it out loud driving in your cars on the way to work. Sing it on the bus or Train if you have too. Rebellion is ON!!!!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!

YEs!!! rebellion.. right after my nap.. i promise...

Eventually I got so bad that instead of say, eating lunch or running to the post office on my breaks, I would go into the break room and literally lie down on the table and fall asleep. My co-workers found me to be most "unusual" and many accused me of being a slacker even though my work was consistently finished and accurate. It took me 15 years to get properly diagnosed and while I was at this particular job I had dropped from cataplexy twice. Still, I was accused of being neurotic and/or faking it.

However, my favorite one-liner came from a doctor. I went from going to university, working full-time and playing on the NYState women's soccer and volleyball teams, to barely being able to function and once the doctor (and many others) couldn't come up with a definitive diagnosis and/or suggestion he said: "Perhaps you should join an aerobics class."

We all have our horror stories, but I'm not too interested in wasting any more precious energy on negative reflections, so I'll leave you all with my favorite family/friend one-liner:

"Narcolepsy? Well, that explains a lot, however it's quite frightening that we've consistently used you as the designated driver."

Of course the narcoleptic is the designated driver; why wouldn't she be? :)

be well,

jenji

Here is a link:

I agree... good song :)

YEs!!! rebellion.. right after my nap.. i promise...

:lol: LMAO I'll bring it up at the procrastinators meeting...tomorrow

i think the favourite thing i ever heard was from my doctor ... he was asking me about my C knowing full well that i had N and C and i said well i'm having one right now - my C was in my legs and i couldn't move them - he then asked my mum to help pick me up to see if i could stand up

obviously i fell straight to the floor he then looked at me and with all seriousness said "well, i don't know what the hell that is!"

Sam

My dentist said I was the only patient that could sleep during a root canal...

I "like" the suggestion to drink more coffee because it sure works for them. Little do "they" know I can drink a quadruple expresso and fall right to sleep. I really do wish it worked!!

I "like" the suggestion to drink more coffee because it sure works for them. Little do "they" know I can drink a quadruple expresso and fall right to sleep. I really do wish it worked!!

I am the same way caffiene has a reverse effect with me....

It's frustrating..sometimes I can take dextrostat and fall asleep. nothing consistently works (but that isn't news to anyone reading this!!)

anyone try Dimatap Cough syrup? lol... I use it in extreme emergencies when I want to stay awake.... and it is yummy!

Sorry it was off subject. just wondering....

However, my favorite one-liner came from a doctor.

Oooh, me too. Years ago I went to my "second opinion" (which was more like a second abuse session) and he says "Do you know how antidepressants work to prevent C?" and I lied and said "No." And he said (I kid you not) ... "It's magic!"

And he's the guy behind the desk with degrees on his wall who gets to charge me $400 for nothing. Now THAT's magic! :lol:

does it contain pseudo ephedrine?

Hmmm. I dont know. I just know its yummy....

Oooh, me too. Years ago I went to my "second opinion" (which was more like a second abuse session) and he says "Do you know how antidepressants work to prevent C?" and I lied and said "No." And he said (I kid you not) ... "It's magic!"

And he's the guy behind the desk with degrees on his wall who gets to charge me $400 for nothing. Now THAT's magic! :lol:

now if only he could pull the money for the bill out from behind your ear..... <_<

The craziest thing somebody ever said to me was after I told this guy I had N. He says with a totally straight face, "Oh isn't that that thing where you sleep with dead people?" I said "No, that's necrophilia" I don't know if he was serious or not, I just will never forget that one!

Oh, that's priceless. My mother cannot seem to find the word narcoleptic when she needs to and instead will often find herself saying, necrophiliac.

I told her she's gonna have to figure out how to get that right b/c I can't have that kind of stigma following me around.

jenji

One summer I took this field internship where I would be tromping around in Wyoming studying birds, and I didn't tell them about my illness (at the time I didn't know I had Narcolepsy, so I lumped all my symptoms with Fibromyalgia, the main ones being fatigue/sleepiness). We worked almost ten hour days, and some times we would get up at three in the morning to catch birds, and I would always request the following day off, which they thought was a ''girl'' thing to do (all macho macho men here).

They were impressed that I could actually do the work all day considering I was a ''city girl''. And

I did a pretty decent job overall, keeping up with them and everything, but I found out later from a coworker that my bosses often remarked how slow I was coming down a hill or hiking off-trail, so I told him to tell them that I had a sleep disorder and tell them my symptoms. Well, after they learned the truth, they were super impressed, and got a kick out of someone with a severe sleep disorder hiking around in the woods with them.

I just recently found out it is narcolepsy, so I can't wait to tell them the next time I see them!

I don't get any rude remarks from strangers anymore, but I do get some grief from my rooomates about not hanging out all night getting wasted. ''Gee, are you sure you don't want to go out at tenpm on a school night and go drinking even though you have to wake up at 8?''

Do you guys have some more witty responses to rude people though? Those are pretty great!

Oh yeah, now I remember the first thing I wanted to say.

I recently got laser eye surgery, and a big part of it is that you have to keep staring at a red light, and try not to move your eyes around. They hold your eyelids open with metal things and tape, and then they give you a bunch of drops and shots into your eyeball. Well they gave me a Valium to take beforehand, and then I'm lying there, and my eye is held open and I'm trying to stare at the laser but I keep falling asleep! The doctor kept telling me to pay attention, look at the laser, and so I started pinching myself to try and stay awake. The nurse, apparently thinking I was nervous, then came over to hold my hand and 'comfort' me.

Afterwards I told the doctor that I have N and kept falling asleep, which he got a kick out of. :P

Ok I got a C attack just reading about that surgery...

Oh yeah, now I remember the first thing I wanted to say.

I recently got laser eye surgery, and a big part of it is that you have to keep staring at a red light, and try not to move your eyes around. They hold your eyelids open with metal things and tape, and then they give you a bunch of drops and shots into your eyeball. Well they gave me a Valium to take beforehand, and then I'm lying there, and my eye is held open and I'm trying to stare at the laser but I keep falling asleep! The doctor kept telling me to pay attention, look at the laser, and so I started pinching myself to try and stay awake. The nurse, apparently thinking I was nervous, then came over to hold my hand and 'comfort' me.

Afterwards I told the doctor that I have N and kept falling asleep, which he got a kick out of. :P

A couple of my favorite responses to telling people about N:

If you stopped taking naps, you'd have more regular sleep cycle -- my mom

Drink some warm milk -- my mom

Omg, you'll never eat soup again! -- my roommate

You look tired. You have bag under your eyes. -- my co-worker who I haven't told. He tells me this on daily basis.

Erin

I got some nasty ones, not from co-workers but from family:

Sister (1): He made that disease up in order to gain sympathy.

Sister (2): It's not like he is invalid, he always play the victim.

Cousin in UK:

Don't you feel ashamed? You are over 30. And have no job, no life. I would feel ashamed.

Worse is this. Because when things are well, you have a surge in energy both mental and physical. People tend to assume you act out your bad phases.

People are weird. They expect you to suffer for good on a drip 100% of the time. And should you (dare) become good for a while. Then you have been faking it all along.

Ignorance prevails.

If N has thought me anything about life and people. Never assume anything. Try not to judge. You just don;t know.

I really feel for those people that have N and do not know. What hell they must be living in. And how people make their lives a greater hell.

If only I could start a campaign. A viral campaign. A video clip or an Animation Film. Suggesting certains symptoms (including that of "laziness") may in fact be a neurological condition. For them to try and seek proper medical help. Proper Diagnosis. Make them realise, it could be Narcolepsy.

Who knows, maybe one day.

Henry that sounds just like how my family treats me. Once the idea of laziness and faking have been drilled into you it's hard to put it aside when the doctor says it's not your fault never was. So I still feel like a jerk. I wish I could start the type of viral campaign that would cause them to experience these symptoms for a month. Maybe then they aren't so rude to me anymore, not that it would really matter at this point.

Henry:

Unfortunately, many people see things in black or white; yes or no; on or off and cannot even process what it means to not know what you're going to feel like from moment to moment. however, this is not an excuse, for I think it should be a universal law that when it comes to commenting upon the conditions of another human being: less is more.

To be more precise: people can be major assholes. insensitive, judgmental and direct.

and i have a response for your cousin in the UK in particular:

hey buddy, who asked you?

be well Henry,

jenji

I love my sister dearly, but when I tried to talk to her about how I've been feeling and what the N. has been doing to me she said, "don't give it that much credit"....like there must be some other reason that I feel the way I do. Like all I have to do is figure out what my real problem is and I'll be all fine and dandy. I notice that I talk less and less about it to family/friends b/c they all look at me like I'm a nutball. Easy to see how one becomes isolated.

It's frustrating..sometimes I can take dextrostat and fall asleep. nothing consistently works (but that isn't news to anyone reading this!!)

I take a second dose of Ritalin and Provigil in the afternoon and almost always have to take a nap an hour later... I keep thinking that just doesn't seem right somehow... but then if someone wakes me up, and I come to a good conscious state again, I am energetic again for awhile - I guess because the medicine is still working in me. It was just taking a nap like I was. wink.gif