kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

"Look who decided to show up!"

"Are you stoned?"

"Well, if you decide to show up to work on time, maybe you'll get a raise"

"Who's the new person?" (after being out a day)

"Yeah, I'm tired, too" or "No one likes getting out of bed to come to work"

"Maybe you should go to bed earlier"

"You should take some vitamins"

"I'm sooooo tired, you don't even KNOW"

#2 sleepyavon

sleepyavon

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Disability Activism, Narcolepsy, Fibromyalgia, RA, lipstick, fragrance, sports, FUN!, Xyrem, Cataplexy

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (kogeliz @ Apr 14 2008, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Look who decided to show up!"

"Are you stoned?"

"Well, if you decide to show up to work on time, maybe you'll get a raise"

"Who's the new person?" (after being out a day)

"Yeah, I'm tired, too" or "No one likes getting out of bed to come to work"

"Maybe you should go to bed earlier"

"You should take some vitamins"

"I'm sooooo tired, you don't even KNOW"

Here is one of my come backs to I get tired alot, too! " Oh I remember when I used to just Get Tired, Now I just Stay There!" laugh.gif

#3 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:19 AM

Whenever someone says they are tired, sleepy, etc. I say "You know you can't say that around me...you don't know tired my friend" tongue.gif

I too have been accused of being on drugs, and I always have to tell my teachers that it isn't just their boring lectures that are making me sleep laugh.gif

Chris"Toph4er"

#4 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I like Drama , Art , Sleeping , Biology and Tae Kwon Do.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

My school is terrible in coping with my Narco Im not even aloud to go on school trips. sad.gif

#5 Julie A

Julie A

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

I feel all of your frustrations both at work when my boss pointed out during my yearly eval. . .
"Do you think this is professional? 'I'm sooooooo tired'" mimicing me, and then put her head on the desk.

Also when I was in school, my english teacher actually sent me to the principals office after falling asleep again. When I told him I couldn't help it, he said "If the Dean says you can sleep through my class, why don't you just bring a damn pillow!" Needless to say, the next day, I BROUGHT A PILLOW!
HAHAHAHA. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!

#6 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Julie A @ Apr 18 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel all of your frustrations both at work when my boss pointed out during my yearly eval. . .
"Do you think this is professional? 'I'm sooooooo tired'" mimicing me, and then put her head on the desk.

Also when I was in school, my english teacher actually sent me to the principals office after falling asleep again. When I told him I couldn't help it, he said "If the Dean says you can sleep through my class, why don't you just bring a damn pillow!" Needless to say, the next day, I BROUGHT A PILLOW!

nice, very nice

#7 TamS

TamS

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

Last week I heard a coworker say "I want to know what dr you go to so they can give me a drs excuse to leave work early too. I can act as crazy as you are." That was another one that I wrote down in my little notepad of harrassment!

#8 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:39 PM

And he thought that would be okay because?????
What an idiot.

QUOTE (TamS @ Sep 9 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last week I heard a coworker say "I want to know what dr you go to so they can give me a drs excuse to leave work early too. I can act as crazy as you are." That was another one that I wrote down in my little notepad of harrassment!

#9 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

Tam, I hope you don't have to write down too many more before something is done about the harassment. I actually had a funny moment yesterday. It is homecoming week at my school, and Monday was "Roll out of Bed" day (yes, I am the luckiest narcoleptic on the planet). A colleague came into the Faculty Lounge and said, "I am so tired today. Doesn't it make you tired when you wear pajamas to school?" While she said it to all of us in the room, I replied, "Actually, I find that it makes me tired no matter what I wear to school." Since she is a good friend and knows about my condition, it brought a big laugh.

#10 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

I was told several times that it must be nice to have an excuse to nap whenever you feel like it. Or you must be depressed. or I get tired too or you don't have narcolepsy because you don't fall down when you nap. you drink to much caffiene and that will make you tired. you do too much. And the one I LOVE is...start repeating to yourself that you are healthy and have lots of energy and you will begin to feel a lot better. LOL angry.gif

#11 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (mtc @ Oct 13 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the one I LOVE is...start repeating to yourself that you are healthy and have lots of energy and you will begin to feel a lot better. LOL angry.gif

I can certainly see how this one could be annoying.

However, I find that when I use positive affirmations like this, I feel better during the times that I am feeling awake.

It doesn't impact my sleep/wake time or ability to fight off sleep attacks, but I find that I have a more positive attitude and sense of well-being during the good times.

That being said, I would also be completely annoyed if someone else kept telling me to do this. It's one of those things that has to come from within.

K

#12 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Oct 14 2008, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can certainly see how this one could be annoying.

However, I find that when I use positive affirmations like this, I feel better during the times that I am feeling awake.

It doesn't impact my sleep/wake time or ability to fight off sleep attacks, but I find that I have a more positive attitude and sense of well-being during the good times.

That being said, I would also be completely annoyed if someone else kept telling me to do this. It's one of those things that has to come from within.

K

You are right, using positive affirmations do help to keep more positive, but when I am told that by repeating positive affirmations magically I will no longer fall asleep. Believe me, I wish it were that easy!!!

#13 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

Here's mine:

"So that means you can just sleep whenever you want? That's cool! I wish I had Narcolepsy."

"If you're on the floor for more than one minute, I will call 911"

"Does it ever happen when you're driving?" or the alternative "Do you still drive?"

"Wow, that sounds so cool. I take drugs to do what your body does naturally. I'm so jealous!"

"What's the matter?" after seeing my exhausted face for the millionth time

"So does that mean you're going to fall asleep in the middle of this conversation?"

"Oh, I'm so tired today!" (yes I saw the previous entry on this one but I hate it too! lol)

#14 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (Julie A @ Apr 18 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LoL!!! That is great! I laughed pretty hard when I read this.

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Oct 14 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"So does that mean you're going to fall asleep in the middle of this conversation?"

I hate that one too! smile.gif

#15 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:16 PM

As an English teacher, I feel the need to apologize for insensitive colleagues everywhere. For me one of the hardest moments comes when I try to explain the condition. That look on a person's face when I tell her or him that I take one medicine to help me sleep at night and another to help me stay awake during the day. Each gaze of disbelief seems to burn itself into my brain!

#16 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

I just don't understand why your so tired , your doctor did give you stimulants!

My reply to the above was " well you take medication for your loose bowels but you still seem to have issues!"

Your just tired because the weather is gloomy!

Maybe if you didn't take naps you'd be able to sleep at night.

and last but not least " Why are you so tired all the time, you only have epilepsy. "

#17 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (shallow_water @ Oct 21 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and last but not least " Why are you so tired all the time, you only have epilepsy. "

Hahahahaha! When I was first diagnosed, my well-intentioned mother kept calling C "Catalepsy". I still get that one, even from doctors. hehe

(and don't worry, my mom finally got it right.) smile.gif

#18 angellus

angellus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Feeling well.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Oct 21 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahahaha! When I was first diagnosed, my well-intentioned mother kept calling C "Catalepsy". I still get that one, even from doctors. hehe

(and don't worry, my mom finally got it right.) smile.gif

my mom keeps saying narcoplexy... it drives me nuts

that and my sister. Wow sleeping pills don't put you to sleep? I wonder why?

#19 petra

petra

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

being told to 'cheer up' and 'think happy thoughts' when you've got that faceslip thing from mild cataplexy

#20 omllylisa

omllylisa

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

I had to inform all of my teachers prior to starting college about my condition. I even supplied them each with a brochure on N and explained that I wasn't looking for special treatment, all I asked was that they didn't embarass me by calling me out in front of the class if I happened to nod off. I explained that I would be tape recording classes in case I missed anything. Every one of them said they understood and would accommodate my needs. One teacher said, "wow, I've always found that condition so fascinating. Don't worry about recording classes, I'll make sure you don't miss anything" all with a smile and a pat on the back. On my very first class I nodded off once and he stood directly in front of my desk and practically screamed "you all better make sure your paying attention because I won't repeat myself!"

Another teacher looked at me like I was complete idiot when I explained my situation and my first class she kept looking at me and very obviously rolled her eyes and did that annoyed sigh, so obvious that other students would look right at me and laugh.

My math teacher was another one who promised to accept my conditions and then called on me to answer a question when I had clearly nodded off, then became annoyed that I didn't know where we were, as were everyone else in the room and then proceeded to lecture me in front of the entire class about how this wasn't high school anymore and he wasn't going to babysit.

I had to drop all my classes except one because I couldn't handle a full day, even on my meds. I never went back. Now I'm in college, but I do it 100% online

My last boss (who was also my aunt) used to say things like all the above, I need to eat better, excercise more, lose weight and was highly annoyed that I wasn't magically cured by my medication 100%. But, the worst was when she became convinced by her own self diagnosing that I didn't have narcolepsy, I was probably diabetic. She even brought in her sugar testing kit and made me test my sugars right there in the office in front of her. She didn't seem to have much to say when my numbers were normal.

and probably the dumbest thing I ever heard from anyone was my dentist's assistant. I explained it was possible I would fall asleep or become paralyzed with the gas because I had narcolepsy and she started laughing and said, "Oh, isn't that that funny disease that makes you say bad words?" I'm pretty sure she was thinking of Tourette's. What an idiot.