• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

Alright, I'm a high school senior (only cuz I missed a year prior to being diagnosed with N!) and so I'm looking at colleges. I think my choice is going to be the University of California, Riverside, even over UCLA. But really, I just can't believe I'm faced with turning down my dream school, Westmont, a small private school in Santa Barbara, CA on an amazing, beautiful campus. Why? UCR, while not as highly looked upon by the general public, has opportunities for me that far outdo my opportunities elsewhere. First of all, they gave me their Reagent's scholarship, and how can you turn down a free education, but also because it is close to home (only about an hour). Most importantly, I can do sleep research with my amazing sleep doctor in Loma Linda, all of 10 minutes away. If any of you see Dr. Downey, you are blessed, the greatest guy ever smile.gif. You see, I want to go on to med school (Preferably Stanford because of their N center) to become a sleep doctor and researcher, specialized in narcolepsy (for reasons I'd imagine you could never conceive rolleyes.gif). Still, I think, how can I just walk away from Westmont and UCLA (among other great schools)? So...hard...

Chris"Toph4er"

#2 sleepycj

sleepycj

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (Toph4er @ Apr 13 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, I'm a high school senior (only cuz I missed a year prior to being diagnosed with N!) and so I'm looking at colleges. I think my choice is going to be the University of California, Riverside, even over UCLA. But really, I just can't believe I'm faced with turning down my dream school, Westmont, a small private school in Santa Barbara, CA on an amazing, beautiful campus. Why? UCR, while not as highly looked upon by the general public, has opportunities for me that far outdo my opportunities elsewhere. First of all, they gave me their Reagent's scholarship, and how can you turn down a free education, but also because it is close to home (only about an hour). Most importantly, I can do sleep research with my amazing sleep doctor in Loma Linda, all of 10 minutes away. If any of you see Dr. Downey, you are blessed, the greatest guy ever smile.gif. You see, I want to go on to med school (Preferably Stanford because of their N center) to become a sleep doctor and researcher, specialized in narcolepsy (for reasons I'd imagine you could never conceive rolleyes.gif). Still, I think, how can I just walk away from Westmont and UCLA (among other great schools)? So...hard...

Chris"Toph4er"

Choose a school becaues it is where you want to go and has the programs you want. I went to The University of Pittsburgh..PITT... because it had the program I wanted. No scholarships and very little grant $, but loans taken every year. You can always repay the loans.
College is about getting the education and enjoing your time there. Go where you think you "fit" the best.
You would be amased at the number of professors that taught at Pitt as well as the local community college in Pittsburgh...the same exact class...and I was paying more for the class at Pitt then I would have at the community college.... and had students transfer in to Pitt after 2 years at the community college after paying alot less for the same classes I took and being in the same program as I was in, and save alot of money in the process.
So it is not about what others or even you view as "great schools" that matters, a great school is what you make of your time there.
If UCR is where you can see yourself being successful and getting where you want in life than go with it, if it is somewhere else than follow that path, just don't let others views on the choice you are making make your decision for you.
believe in yourself and your ability to make the decisions that will help your future.

#3 Aurora

Aurora

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hey!
I got a free ride to a school I never thought I'd get into, so I guess it wasn't a dream school as I never applied until I found out about the scholarships and grants, lol. I didn't want to go at first (it's very prestigious but I was nervous because of all my disabilities, which -LOL- doubled when I moved in here), but I LOVE it now... I realize it's exactly where I want to be and where I was supposed to be all along. I transferred here after two other colleges, so I can say from experience that if you have a good feeling about the college and it seems to make sense, it's probably where you're supposed to be. smile.gif You can always transfer (it's easier to transfer than to get into colleges from high school, especially if you make progressively good grades in college), but it sounds like you feel like this is where you should go for now.

Go for it. smile.gif If you feel like it's right and the door is open and the money is there, it's probably where you're supposed to go, at least for now. The colleges I transferred from weren't for me, but I was still supposed to be there (and I would not have gotten into my awesome, top-of-the-list university without going to them first). Best of luck, and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

#4 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

Well I just sent my Statement of Intent to Register to UC Riverside a few hours ago, so at least that decision is over with smile.gif. Go Highlanders biggrin.gif.

#5 Aurora

Aurora

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll love college life. smile.gif Just make sure you plan out your schedule so you can take naps... and don't take any early morning (before 11 or 12, lol) classes unless you absolutely can't avoid it! I love college. biggrin.gif

#6 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Aurora @ May 1 2008, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll love college life. smile.gif Just make sure you plan out your schedule so you can take naps... and don't take any early morning (before 11 or 12, lol) classes unless you absolutely can't avoid it! I love college. biggrin.gif

Hehe I wish I could avoid early classes...even now I have my schedule arranged so I don't have to go to HS till 10 and just take college classes in the afternoon at the local JC.