Binge eating and N

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sleepysleepy

sleepysleepy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

I need everyones help. Prior to my diagnosis of N, I would eat in my sleep with no recollection of it. Now after being diagnosed it has seemed to get worse with one exception, I eat uncontrollably at night before I go to sleep (thanks to Xyrem). I absolutely hate it!!!! :x It is such a bad habit and I just cannot seem to stop. I read the recent study published in SLEEP but it doesn't really give any advise it just shows the link between eating disorders and N.

Does anyone have any good solutions to stop this nasty habit?

#2 judycasper

judycasper

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:39 AM

Hi sleepysleepy,

Unfortunately, I donít have an answer for you concerning the binge eating other than to stay open to the possibility that it may not be associated with your narcolepsy.

I started binge eating sweets like crazy and gaining weight this past October after I started taking Dexedrine. In addition to narcolepsy I have an under-active thyroid and some other medical conditions. In January I had blood work done because I thought that maybe my thyroid condition had gotten worse and was contributing to the weight gain. It turned out that the opposite had happened -- my thyroid was now very over-active instead of under-active! (The last time I had it tested was in September, right before I started taking Dexedrine.) My doctor said that the thyroid can be affected by many things, including medications, and that an over-active thyroid can stimulate binge-eating in some people. I am now taking less thyroid medication for my once under-active thyroid and will get tested again in a month to see if there is any change.

So, to make a long story short, my binge eating probably wasnít directly related to narcolepsy, it was probably a result of my thyroid becoming over-active in reaction to the narcolepsy medication. (This didnít happen when I was taking Concerta or Ritalin.)

Iím not trying to relate this story to Xyrem, or even to Dexedrine for other people, it is just an example of why you should be open to the possibility that something such as an undiagnosed medical condition or medication you take that is unrelated to narcolepsy may be causing the binge eating.

Good luck with everything, sleepysleepy!

#3 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

I used to do that but it was because of my blood sugar mostly. It would drop at night and I would stumble all drunk-like to the kitchen and eat. sometimes I would remember doing sometimes not... Those were the days I would leave the bread open on the counter or worse! since I have adjusted my diet to keep my Blood sugar in check I dont do it anymore....

#4 kogeliz

kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi there.

There has been a recent wave of articles about the relation between narcolepsy and eating disorders....

http://www.nlm.nih.g...tory_62736.html

With the Xyrem and eating..... I think that's a side-effect.
I know if I do not straight to sleep after taking my xyrem, I will start eating everything in the house before I go to sleep.

#5 sleepysleepy

sleepysleepy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

I absolutely love this site!!!

I am sitting here ready to cry because I don't sound crazy to you guys. I feel like this is my challenge to beat this night time eating. I have wondered it the binge eating was related to the Xyrem but I wasn't sure and to be honest I was afraid to ask. Everyone that I tell about my night eating just thinks I am nuts. I think I am going to call the pharmacy on Monday and speak with the nurse or pharmacist. Thank you so much for the articles and links, they are so helpful!!!! I want learn all I can to break this.

Thank you!!!!

#6 miss_sleepy

miss_sleepy

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hi guys and gals,

I am new also and happy to read stories that I can relate to. I have also experienced the binge eating at night. Before Xyrem, I binge eat in my sleep. I eat an entire loaf of white bread, a box of pop-tarts. . . two of which I took a couple of bites and then placed them under my pillow to wake up with the gunk all in my hair and hands. I was horrified. I don't eat those foods because I am on a very low sugar/low carb diet for my Lyme Disease.

Now that I have been on Xyrem, I have been eating like crazy if I don't fall right asleep and if I do fall asleep and wake up for my second does, I have to go eat. But with the Xyrem I am no longer eating in my sleep, I am awake and remeber eating, and have not left any suprizes under my pillow. I actualy eat pretty healthy foods...apples, blueberries, half a bagel.

But over the past couple of months, I have gained 20 lbs. I hate this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Love to all!

#7 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

I love the binge eating...I know it's bad, but that doesn't make it any less attractive!

I think there is an association with a full belly and enough comfort to sleep.

-Stu

#8 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (greatbig47 @ Apr 26 2008, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the binge eating...I know it's bad, but that doesn't make it any less attractive!

I think there is an association with a full belly and enough comfort to sleep.

-Stu

I totally agree- I cannot sleep without a full tummy- I limit my carb and sugar intake during the day so I can have something filling before bed, it just may be a bowl of cereal or a handful of pretzels but it does the trick!

#9 miss_sleepy

miss_sleepy

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (shallow_water @ Apr 26 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I totally agree- I cannot sleep without a full tummy- I limit my carb and sugar intake during the day so I can have something filling before bed, it just may be a bowl of cereal or a handful of pretzels but it does the trick!

Maybe if we leave healthy snacks, like veggies/fruit out or available. And keep the heavier, not as healthy food placed in a very hard to get place, or have some one else hide it, or maybe we can lock them up? But maybe that would hurt us if we were on a mission to find that food.

Or we could prepare a meal and count it as part of our daily intake of food.

My nutrionist told me that eating at night is ok. It is not true that eating at night makes you gain weight. You just have to watch your over all calorie/nutrition in take.

Just some thoughts!

#10 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

I am perhaps an atypical Narcoleptic.

I do not like eating.

I hate sweets.

Moreover fasting or starving helps me fend of EDS.

Tastewise I like anything that is salty bitter and spicy - my bold feels cold, and warming it up seem to help (at times) with narco spells.

In desperation I would chew raw ginger and then a raw chilli to warm up my circulation.

What I would like to know if there are Narcos out there who like me are not that bothered about food and hate sweets (chocolate, muffins, donuts, biccies, icecreams, sugar-sugary-things, etc)

If like me - they tend to fast in order to stay more alert / awake.

Birthday cakes are the worse - eeww

#11 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (miss_sleepy @ Apr 26 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe if we leave healthy snacks, like veggies/fruit out or available. And keep the heavier, not as healthy food placed in a very hard to get place, or have some one else hide it, or maybe we can lock them up? But maybe that would hurt us if we were on a mission to find that food.

My kids and I make a game out of hiding junk food from my husband. During the day he eats very healthy but at night when the lights are low he turns into a junk food junky. He is very good at finding the junk so we are trying to think of new spots everyday.

If I stop buying the junk he wants to know why I won't let the kids have a little treat once in a while, like I don't see through that line of bull laugh.gif

Anyway, it just wouldn't be the same if we didn't play "hide the candy from Daddy" every night. wink.gif

#12 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

As my symptoms got worse, I ate every time I started to feel tired. Even though I have been tested for diabetes a billion times (due to my "fatigue" that I was always bringing up to my doctors), I thought it was a blood sugar thing.

I have found that a multi-disciplinary approach really helps -- in addition to my sleep doc/neurologist and PCP I also see a psychotherapist. A psychologist, licensed professional counselor, social worker, or psychotherapist can help a lot in getting at the binge eating issues.

Here is one suggestion: Make a list of things you can do with your time OTHER than eat, things that you enjoy, and put it on your fridge or your pantry or wherever you tend to raid. Things like..
"walk around the block,"
"pet the cat for 10 minutes,"
"give myself a foot massage" (or the even better "get a foot massage from my spouse/significant other"),
"drink a glass of water,"
"call a friend,"
"send an e-card to someone who needs it,"
"window shop on QVC/HSN channel"
"read one story in a magazine"
"go shred that pile of papers"
"pick a flower from the garden and put it in a vase"
"blog"
"do 40 crunches"

The longer you make your list, the more options you will see when you think there is nothing to do except eat. For those that have families it's probably harder.. my husband and I have agreed on the foods that we cannot keep in the house, and we don't keep them here. Unfortunately it means he suffers a little bit, but most of the stuff I would overdo it on is not healthy food anyway so it's just as good that it's not accessible. He can have that stuff at work if he wants it.

K

#13 SleepyAD

SleepyAD

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (sleepysleepy @ Apr 3 2008, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need everyones help. Prior to my diagnosis of N, I would eat in my sleep with no recollection of it. Now after being diagnosed it has seemed to get worse with one exception, I eat uncontrollably at night before I go to sleep (thanks to Xyrem). I absolutely hate it!!!! :x It is such a bad habit and I just cannot seem to stop. I read the recent study published in SLEEP but it doesn't really give any advise it just shows the link between eating disorders and N.

Does anyone have any good solutions to stop this nasty habit?

THIS is the reason I found out that I WAS Narcoleptic!! I had been eating at night -- sometimes I remember sometimes I don't - for 10 years before finally asking my doctor about it. I never thought it was all that odd when I was in high school and college. All I wanted was some sleeping Rx and she said to have sleep study first. Well, I NEVER eat when i'm in a new environment (each time i've moved I would stop for a few weeks) so I knew that I wouldn't wake up to eat in a sleep clinic.

I take Provigil now -- but the night eating continues. Docs said since i'm more awake in the day that I should sleep better at night. But just like you I think its just a habit now -- even if I nap, I wake up and sleep. I've tried to hide the junk food so that it is hard to get to at 3am but it won't stop me.

I'm worried that in 10 years i'll be driving to the grocery store in my sleep because I'm craving something!