What do you do for a living?

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 WakeChallenged

WakeChallenged

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

2tiredalways- thanks for the info. I spoke with my doctor and he said he would give me a letter to give to my work. I know what you mean when you say that you know you couldn't do it (the working part). I told my doctor that it was a good thing I could ride to work with friends, because if I had to drive, I couldn't do it, I would have to go on disability. I do drive to work when I absolutely have to, but the commute is pretty far and I have a difficult time staying awake especially driving home. The medication helps, but the overwhelming need to sleep is greater.

#22 2tiredalways

2tiredalways

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:woodworking,painting,playing pool, jewelry making anything crafting.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

Hey..No Problem. So many of you have helped me in so many different ways its nice to help someone else.
Good Luck to You:)

#23 flipflop

flipflop

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

I am a graphic designer. Unfortunately I was laid off and am not working at the moment. I am looking for work and hopefully will be working soon smile.gif My passion is photography so I do that on the side as well.

#24 MaryAnne

MaryAnne

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

I am am clerical in a small office....7.5 hours a day and I have an office I can sneak away to for a quick nap whenever needed! Lucky!!

#25 SleepyMeg

SleepyMeg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Writing, making jewelry, shopping, Mustangs, and much more!

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

I'm an editor - one of the worst jobs a PWN can have, if you ask my neurologist. I have to admit, it is incredibly difficult to read and write all day. Fortunately, my days are often broken up by meetings and non reading/writing tasks. The time up, away from my desk always helps. I also have an incredibly understanding editorial team. Since my diagnosis (about 3 months after I started at this job), I've been very upfront with everyone about what I'm dealing with. I've found that educating them has helped make my working environment more supportive of my needs.

#26 SleepyStudent

SleepyStudent

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

I work full time at Hewlett Packard with an out sourcing team with my employer and go to school at night and online at my local junior college. My goal is to have my AA by Fall of 2009 in Accounting and to transfer to Sac State the following spring.

#27 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:42 AM

I don't do anything. I used to be a concert lighting designer and engineer, I was wonderful at that, but once I quit the "drugs" part of my Rock n Roll life style, I have not been able to function properly. LOL. Who knew street drugs actually had benefits! (I'm joking of course! don't try this at home kids!)That was 8 years ago... I am on disability right now but I am hoping to find something that I can do at home to make a decent amount of money. $623 a month doesn't go far... I have tried college three different times and cant make it through even part time, Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm totally stuck!

#28 Drea

Drea

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

I work with special needs children as a teachers associate during the day and I go to college at night time. I am majoring in elementary education. It's a real struggle. My day starts out at 6:00 in the morning when I try to get up for work, but I struggle with sleep paralysis, so I can barely pull myself out of bed, then I have to make it to work by 8:15, work until 4:00p.m., make it to school by 5:00 p.m. It takes all I can to stay awake in class. I get home on a good night by 11:00 p.m. and then try to study until 12:00 a.m. By then I know I'm only going to get about 6 hours of sleep. But I love my job and class are fun when I can stay awake. I only have a few years left!

#29 blackmonam

blackmonam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:photography, writing, sports

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

I work for the Army as a civilian employee doing public affairs. It's a very demanding job because we've been short staffed for a few years now. But I enjoy what I do.

#30 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

I am a college student. I am taking 16 credits this semester. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Electrical Engineering. Staying awake in class is extremely difficult for me, but now that I know I have narcolepsy things are getting better. My meds are working wonderfully and I am excited to graduate!

#31 BeautyCochran

BeautyCochran

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:PSP 10, Adobe, Animation

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

You all are WONDERFUL biggrin.gif to say the least because you have the "strength" to work! :shock: You all should give yourselves a pat on the back!! My husband gave me the option many "moons" ago to work or stay home when we had kids, so I chose to stay home. I wouldn't give that up for a skinny minute, the time the kids and I had together, but I did got nervous several weeks ago when I realized that now that he needs me to work (and he has never said a word) I can't because I'm too sick...and financially I am the reason we are so in debt, well the major part of debt is my health. Tuitions for the kids and braces are next. Lv & Huggles--Beauty

#32 sleepysleepy

sleepysleepy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and new to N. I was diagnosed about a month ago and it has been a rough start. I work as Pharmacy Technician and I love pharmacy. I've had to change my hours and stop taking on-call. I really love this site!!! biggrin.gif

#33 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

(sleepysleepy)
Hi everyone! I am new to this site and new to N. I was diagnosed about a month ago and it has been a rough start. I work as Pharmacy Technician and I love pharmacy. I've had to change my hours and stop taking on-call. I really love this site!!! biggrin.gif

Hi sleepysleepy, I was a Pharmacy Technician as well. I loved the Pharmacy more than I ever expected. I miss it but I will get back to it someday. My Husband has N and he works for the post office. Its nice to have another Technician who loved it. The ladies I worked with didn't enjoy the field so it made them cranky :wink:

#34 kogeliz

kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

Currently a front-desk receptionist/admin.

Which means I'm supposed to be on time.
Doesn't work out too well.

Usually I have worked in manufacturing/distribution quality control type of jobs. Which I prefer because it keeps my brain awake (having to solve problems) and keeps my body awake (having to walk around)

#35 kogeliz

kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

Currently a front-desk receptionist and admin.

Which means I'm supposed to be on time.
Doesn't work out too well.

Usually I have worked in manufacturing/distribution quality control type of jobs. Which I prefer because it keeps my brain awake (having to solve problems) and keeps my body awake (having to walk around)

#36 merriejean

merriejean

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:reading,sleeping (LOL)

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

I'm a full-time 8th grade teacher and mommy to 3 young kids. Somewhere in there I find time to be a wife. I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia and unfortunately, naps don't do anything for me- the whole" unrefreshing naps" thing is me to a T! It's absolutely frustrating! No one close to me understands how I can sleep for 12 hours and still be sleepy. I don't understand it myself. laugh.gif

I doubt I'll be able to work much longer. I am not awake to visit with my children and getting up in the morning is cruel and unusual punishment!

#37 merriejean

merriejean

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:reading,sleeping (LOL)

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

I'm a full-time 8th grade teacher and mommy to 3 young kids. Somewhere in there I find time to be a wife. I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia and unfortunately, naps don't do anything for me- the whole" unrefreshing naps" thing is my to a T! It's absolutely frustrating! No one close to me understands how I can sleep for 12 hours and still be sleepy. I don't understand it myself. laugh.gif

I doubt I'll be able to work much longer. I am not awake to visit with my children and getting up in the morning is cruel and unusual punishment!

#38 wendiesel

wendiesel

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:51 AM

I am a full-time Pharmacy Student. I expect to graduate next spring. I love working in a pharmacy and working with people.

#39 gurlzylla

gurlzylla

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

I work at two jobs currently and will be sitting for the NCLEX-RN in about 20 months! I was diagnosed in the middle of my RN education, but I'm not going to let it define me! I only have mild cataplexy, but I have learned plenty of quirky little ways to keep myself awake in lecture. For now, I am safe on my feet! Have not had a sleepy spell in clinicals to date (knock on wood!)

#40 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'm a student...high school senior-soon to be biochem major biggrin.gif. On weekends I often referee soccer and can stay awake well enough for that I think...no one has complained yet, other than the typical ref complaints wink.gif. I also manage/design websites & forums, but that's a hobby, no money involved.