What do you do for a living?

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 supercat

supercat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

I am an RN in an Adult ICU, day shift, full-time. Sometimes it's a struggle to concentrate when it's busy.

What type of work do you do?

#2 NannyMissB

NannyMissB

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:naps

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

I work as a preschool teacher during the day and nanny at night. I usually work 14 hour days and keep going by taking naps throughout the day. One when my class naps, one on my lunch break, one after my full time job, one while I have a co-worker cover for me on the playground, one while putting kids I nanny for to bed...I have learned to be creative. Meds don't work for me, naps do. I'm single and have a 17 year old son so I have to work a lot to pay the bills.

#3 Idreamawake

Idreamawake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Quilting, Doll collecting, Reading, Writing, Miniatures

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

Hi there! I am currently on dissability, but prior I worked for years as an insurance adjuster, then a private investigator and mostly as an office administrator. I think I lasted so long prior because I was a Queen mulitasker and it would divert my attention enough that I didn't have to concentrate on any one task for long periods of time. My last job did me in though, long commute (2-3 hours a day) and very stressful managers, etc. and alot of stressful co-worker situations. I finally just got tired of being tired all the time and could feel that it was getting worse. I assume because of my weight gain over the years it was sleep apnea and was shocked when they came back with Narcolepsy. I tried all the medications that my neurologist knew of and my body could tolerate not one of them for any amount of time. I ended up going into depression and kind of having a breakdown and decided that I had to quit in order to ensure I got enough rest. I literally felt like I was dying. Raising a family and working 40 plus hours a week in a highly stressful job just made my symptoms so much worse. Now that I have been home I can tell the difference between making sure I get rest during the day and how I operated on auto-pilot before. I am still amazed that I never caused a car accident all those years that I worked fulltime and then some. Anyway, I miss working and I commend the woman who said that she works at a daycare and then as a nanny at night, I can't imagine having to do all that and deal with this disorder on top of it! I am glad for this forum, I hope to learn alot from all the veterans on here and future members.

#4 Guest_dodothatvoodoo_*

Guest_dodothatvoodoo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:27 AM

hi - i'm quite senior at a big PR agency but only work 3 days a week because I have a young child. In previous jobs i've found it really hard to hide my sleepiness and to maintain concentration. I always thoguh it was just down to phases in my bipolar, but was diagnosed with food induced cataplexy earlier this year. all kinds of random food and drink was triggering it so it became impossible to hide. All my coworkers know about it now, and some of my clients. i'm a few months into to new meds regime - with effectiveness a bit patchy, some days I have no probs at all, but today i can't keep my eyes open. Hard when I'm surrounded by a young team who are always asking me questions. At home my daughter is used to me napping.

#5 Andrea Egan

Andrea Egan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:gardening, music, cooking, sleeping.

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:57 AM

I'm a full-time college student (taking 17 credits this semester). In May, I will have earned my B.S. degree, and afterwards I plan to go on to graduate school for a M.S. degree in physician's assistant studies, specializing in sleep medicine. I hope to become certified between now and then as a polysomnograph technician. During the summers I work quality control in a canning factory from 7pm-7am, 7 days a week.

#6 ATampaNarco

ATampaNarco

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

I am an Administrator for a medical Company. And Thanks to Dr. Scott Perrino in Tampa I can do my job better than before! laugh.gif :wink:

#7 sandkelly

sandkelly

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Music, Painting, biking

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

I work as an accountant. I am on the computer most of the time. Daytime drowsiness is a challenge. I work for four different employers so I move around between employers during the day and I am able to nap in between. I don't take meds so some days are harder than others. I am 57 and plan to work 10 more years. I am aware that less time on the computer may help with the drowsiness and I am interested in the substance abuse field. So I am taking courses as we speak and attempting a career change. Then my workday would involve some computer and some interaction with people and maybe more physical movement to mix it up- time will tell.

#8 mpollock

mpollock

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

I've just finished my Masters, and am working for DLP of Texas Instruments as an engineer.

#9 aimeemerr

aimeemerr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:tropical vacations, time spent outdoors, gardening, the ocean

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

I work in a children's unit (ages 4-14) at an acute psychiatric hospital as a RN. I graduated from nursing school 2.5 years ago and was not diagnosed with narcolepsy at the time. 9 months after graduating nursing school I finally found out what was wrong all those years....

#10 DozyDayDreamer

DozyDayDreamer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

I've been on disability for the past two years. Prior to that, I was a geek at a large Monopoly in Redmond Washington for 13 years. I guess I am still a secret geek, though not nearly as geeky as before.

#11 Marinaki

Marinaki

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

I have been working in preschool since I was 17, currently I am an Infant Program Supervisor and have had Director and Assistant Director positions.

#12 AntonioRaimondo

AntonioRaimondo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

I'm currently a second-year college student, majoring in History and Secondary Education with a minor in French. I should seem pretty obvious where I'm headed with my studies.

#13 sleepyavon

sleepyavon

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Disability Activism, Narcolepsy, Fibromyalgia, RA, lipstick, fragrance, sports, FUN!, Xyrem, Cataplexy

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

Snubbed by SSI, I am Your Sleepy AVON Lady. We just lost our home. I went through the whole SS Disability process, even with a lawyer. SS did agree that I am too disabled to work, but I was 2 work credits short for SSDI, and my husband made $200 too much gross for SSI, which is still based on the cost of living figures from 1970's!!! It is very frustrating having severe narcolepsy, fibromyalgia, and RA, not having enough money ever to even buy necessities.

#14 DozyDayDreamer

DozyDayDreamer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Did you try SSDI with a lawyer or on your own? My lawyer seems to think it's a slam dunk, but who knows.

#15 linzieluv

linzieluv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:tv, movies, books, and puzzles... when awake

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

Last june I graduated with a BA. Two weeks ago I got hired on as a pharmacy clerk and soon to be a pharmacy tech. In a year I hope to start taking classes to become a nurse.

#16 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Pottery, music, my boyfriend, watching movies and going to comedy clubs.

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:22 AM

I'm a legal secretary. I work from 7 am to 5 and take a two hour lunch so I can nap after eating. I love my job and get depressed thinking about not being able to work. I know it's just a matter of time. [/code]

#17 2tiredalways

2tiredalways

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:woodworking,painting,playing pool, jewelry making anything crafting.

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

I am a courier, PT early am hours when I am at my best.

#18 sleepyball

sleepyball

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

I work as a manager with a major retailer and I work Mon-Fri 8-5. I used to work 7-4 but found it extremely difficult to get up at the earlier time due to my insomnia at night.

I have dreaded having the "nap" conversation with my boss. I think I am going to rework my office to make it easier to accomodate a place to sleep on my lunch hour.

#19 WakeChallenged

WakeChallenged

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

I am a Coordinator for a financial company supporting about 200 people. I have ALWAYS had a hard time staying awake on the job. Before I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy, I thought there was something wrong with just me. I didn't understand why I was always so tired and had no energy, and other people didn't seem to have a problem. In June 2007, after I was diagnosed, I had a valid reason for being so tired. I made my supervisors aware of my disorder, but have not gone into great details. There are days that I have to take 20-30 minute naps. I am wondering if I should present something to them in writing or some kind of documentation from my doctor stating my condition and that there will be times when I need to take naps? Does anyone have thoughts on how I should handle this?

#20 2tiredalways

2tiredalways

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:woodworking,painting,playing pool, jewelry making anything crafting.

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

My Dr. told me he would give me a nap note but I find it easier to work 2 pt jobs this way I can sleep as long as I want in the afternoon. My 1st job is early Im up at 5:30am and back home by noon. I really dont think I could do it any other way...in fact I know I couldnt.