supercat

What do you do for a living?

158 posts in this topic

I'm a genetic counselor for a high risk perinatal center. I was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia in February of 2011 but they couldn't rule out N. Last Friday I was officially put into the N category by my new doc here in Florida. We are pretty sure I have had the condition since a small child since I have always had EDS, sleep walking and hypnagogic hallucinations. I never really paid attention to how abnormal it was until I was in grad school, mostly due to how many hypnagogic hallucinations I was having.

Like someone else said though - I'm not going to let N stop me from what I love to do! I love genetics, I love my job, I love to craft, I am going to start up taekwondo and kick-boxing again... And again, like someone else said, I'm so glad to have found a place that is full of people who know exactly what this is like.

I am an RN in an Adult ICU, day shift, full-time. Sometimes it's a struggle to concentrate when it's busy.

What type of work do you do?

I have a high achieving daughter (in her late 20's) who was diagnosed with Narc in her last year of university.She is now pursuing a stressful career as an attorney.With the assistance of meds she strives to maintain a normal professional career and social life for a bright & outgoing young person.She is single & has not advised anyone at work of her Narc.My impression is she works harder & longer to compensate.I would like her to lead a less pressured lifestyle and ,to the extent feasible,reduce her reliance on meds.What advice can others provide on how I can encourage this outcome? - or even if I should do so ?

I am a sonographer/ultrasound tech. I have degrees in both x-ray and ultrasound. Working in radiology can be challenging because it requires me to work in a dark or dim room. I do the ultrasound in the dark and my desk is in the ultrasound work room where the images are interpreted. That room requires dim lighting as well. I work the typical 9-5, 40 hour week job. I was diagnosis with narcolepsy 4 months ago. Working is about all I can do. I have a 45 minute one way commute to work. I get up at 5am and get home at 6pm. Working a 9 hr day and driving nearly 2 hours takes all of my energy. My employer did not agree to accommodate the 1 reasonable request I submitted. I dont get any 15 minute naping breaks. I work for one of the biggest and best university/medical centers in the nation yet they still do not understand what narcolepsy really is...even after I educated them on the condition. I've been feeling really down and depressed about my situation lately.

I'm finishing up graduate school right now. My masters is in library and information science with a focus on youth services and I'm k-12 certified in that area with half a dozen endorsements. But there are no jobs in that field where I live. Too many librarians and teachers. So I am finishing up my CAS in that area and getting a graduate certificate in applied behavior analysis. I work with children and adults with special needs, mostly autism. I'm just starting my own business doing this. I am not willing or able to handle a commute of more than 30 minutes, 40 minutes max. I wanted part time since I have a baby and other disabilties. It is really tough. We will see how it goes. I could probably be a stay at home mom, but I tried that and would rather work at least some. We are place bound for my husband's job, so I can't relocate for the job I want either. And if I want to have another kid, that is another issue as pregnancy was very difficult even on xyrem.

I'm an operations systems analyst. Basically, I sit and stare at a computer screen all night, waiting for something to break, and then I fix it--or call someone who can, if I can't. Didn't used to be so bad, because I was able to distract myself in the slow times, sometimes by crocheting, sometimes by reading, sometimes playing a game on my phone ... But, Management has decided we can't do any of that anymore, which means about the only thing I can do is surf the 'net, which is really rather boring--and one of the shift supervisors is even trying to crack down on that, which would leave me with absolutely nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs and stare at a screen. Not an ideal situation.

However, I'm back in school, working on my BS in Computer Science, specializing in programming. I've been coding for fun since I was a kid, but not in any language that's actually useful in the business world, so I need to learn new languages (yay!) and get the paper that says I know them. Then, hopefully, I can find a job as a programmer--either with my current company or elsewhere. Then I'll have a job where I actually have things to work on! Programming can be stressful, yes, but nothing beats the feeling you get when you finally work out a problem that's been driving you up a wall. Love, love, love that feeling! Plus, a lot of the programmers for the company I currently work for get to work from home. I'm all for that.

This thread gives me hope that maybe I can work in a demanding job. I'm a pharmacy technician and a student right now. I know I need to work in a profession where it is challenging and to be on my feet. I can't sit still. One reason is falling asleep risk, the other reason is because of ADHD. :)

I work in volunteer administration for a non-profit building wheelchair ramps for low-income seniors and families. It's been difficult because all of our teams are scheduled in the morning, and I can't always guarantee that I will wake up soon enough to get everything ready and make it to the site on-time. My boss has been thinking about firing me for a long time now because of this, despite the enormous expansion and funding I've brought into the program. I was diagnosed after I was hired, and it's proving to be real obstacle to any sort of professional development because of the strain it puts on my employee and my supervisor. I love this job, I love the work that I do every day, and I wish N didn't stand in the way so much, I just don't want to admit defeat, has anyone figured out how to make stringent morning schedules work? With my medication I don't have terrible sleep attacks anymore, but the c is getting worse. Anyone have any advice on controlling the c?