Jasonm

Poll: Temperature regulation and cold extremeties

Cold feet and sweating in N while unmedicated   5 members have voted

1. 1. What sleep condition have you been officially diagnosed with

• I have narcolepsy with cataplexy
    • I have narcolepsy without cataplexy
    • I have idiopathic hypersomnia
    • Other
  2. 2. Unmedicated are your feet typically cold or warm shortly before bed?

• Never or rarely have cold feet prior to bed
    • Occasionally have cold feet prior to bed
    • Frequently have cold feet prior to bed
    • Cold feet? Mine are too hot!
  3. 3. Nocturnal sweating and temperature trouble (if you have untreated osa, please skip)

• I rarely have trouble with temperature regulation while sleeping (waking hot or cold)
    • I frequently have trouble with temperature regulation while sleeping

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

Just trying to get some insight on how frequently these symptoms occur. Please report your experience only while unmedicated. 

I can't because it's hard for me to figure out if the heat comes from hot flashes or N. And I am not unmedicated nor do I think that anyone else is unmedicated (one way or another).

Either way it's tough to answer the questions as asked except for the first one so I didn't. :)

Okay, I just did it, but isn't it fairly meaningless without a comments section after each question?  

@HBr nah I don't think so. I don't think it's possible to do that on this forum anyway. I wish the polls were better designed so better information could be gathered. Ie it would be nice if I could tell if cold feet was more associated with n2. I think it is.

What got me wondering is that I have n2 and frequently have cold feet at night and thermoregulation problems. Since a few studies have shown body temperature regulation in N influences the quality of sleep, I was curious how common this phenomena is because there are potentially some treatments.

@Ferret I'm medicated but I always had a heating pad at my feet prior to diagnosis so I was meaning more, if you can recall, was this a frequent problem pretreatment? If that makes sense. 

One of the medication's mechanism of action showing promise for sleep in N also was being investigated for hot flashes oddly enough. I'm not sure how hot flashes feel though! 

For the record, normal healthy people tend to have warm or hot feet prior to bed. Cold feet delay sleep onset. It seems the majority of n2 suffer from cold feet at night for some reason based on our less than ideal response rate.