Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jasonm

Low dose mirtazapine (Remeron for sleep)

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried low dose Remeron for sleep? I'm talking 7.5mg or preferably around 3mg.

If so, what dose and what was your experience?

My friend takes it. I think he takes like a 25mg dose tho. He hates it because he is completely dependent upon it now and can only sleep about 4 hrs without it

Tried it and had a bad experience - no idea now what dosage. Only took one pill and couldn't sleep that night, but then couldn't stay awake the next day either (but also couldn't sleep until 9:00 PM). It took a month or more to recover from that one pill. YMMV obviously, but I don't think it's a good candidate for long term usage.

Jason

I have seen remeron used for sleep, generally it is prescribed for insomnia caused by a major depressive disorder. As you know I am not a big fan of pharmaceuticals for the  most part but I do think this drug may be appropriate for some in the setting of a major depressive disorder, however, the most prominent adverse reaction to this particular medicine is suicidal ideations, In my opinion only,  I do not believe it has a place in treating sleep disorders of any type.

DeathRabbit

The maximum safe dose for this medication is 15 mg, although I have seen Psychiatrists prescribe 30mg. I hope your friend is under the watchful eye of a good psychiatrist

@DeathRabbit such is the case with all chronic hypnotics it seems. 

Mirtazapine weirdly is more sedating at low doses and more stimulatory at higher doses. Just 1mg seems to have pretty profound hypnotic properties. I wouldn't suggest it over 3.75mg for insomnia. It has no antidepressant qualities at low doses. 

One of its enantioners, esmirtazapine, is being studied for sleep onset/maintenance and shown results far superior to most hypnotics. It has a totally different mechanism of action at low vs antidepressant doses. It has a particularly good theoretical pharmacological profile for N if dosed appropriately.