Dalton

MWT? Hawaii and Oregon laws?

3 posts in this topic

So I'm a little bit lost when it comes to The Rules re: driving. I'm 23, was diagnosed in August 2014, and hadn't got my license before that because I was so tired all the time I couldn't think straight enough to handle driving. It took a while for treatment to really work, and then I just sort of never got around to getting my license. (Read: I gave up on figuring out the paperwork headache that it seemed to require.) I get around okay thanks to my family and friends, but I'm moving to Hawaii in September to live with my fiancé and his family, and I really don't want to pester them for rides.

My fiancé is also dealing with sleep problems that he's in the process of seeking a diagnosis for. He's 21 and also doesn't have a license yet. (I mention our ages just because I know certain aspects of getting a license in the first place can differ depending on whether you're a minor or an adult.)

Aaand we plan to move to Oregon at some point, possibly as early as February 2018.

So we've been scouring the internet trying to figure out what exactly we need to do to be street legal in both Hawaii and Oregon.

Is the MWT still the standard test? Is it required of anyone with any kind of sleep-related problems or just people with specific sleep disorders or? And is it always required? I haven't had any sleep attacks since finding the Xyrem dose + sleep schedule that works for me, I very very very rarely experience cataplexy, and my fiancé is waiting for a sleep study so he can also seek treatment for his symptoms. Do we need the MWT? A doctor's note? Both?

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks to anyone who can help us out!

Dalton

I don/t know the specifics for Hawaii or Oregon, however, completing the MWT will go a long way toward making your case for adequate treatment. Also office notes from your Physician which document your progress will help.

Best of luck

Thanks!