Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paladame

Always the same

5 posts in this topic

I hate to lump people into one category, but there is nothing else I can do. "Others" don't understand what it's like to live with a chronic illness like Narcolepsy. That and the several other *BEEP*e diagnoses that we end up piled on top of us; some of us feel like we are just one big *BEEP* show somehow making it through whatever it is we do to get through our lifetime. The worst I have experienced is "I feel bad for you, so I just "stuck" around". The second is, "You just use it as an excuse". 

Honestly, I'm not sure what is worse. Feeling bad for me....or making me feel like my illness is an excuse for getting away with the life I hate so much. 

You know what? Hell no! My illness is not an excuse for anything. If I really wanted you to know I was being a *BEEP*, I would want you to know! I don't want someone to hold it back from me only to use it as an excuse to tell me I was a *BEEP*. Look, I have come to a time in my life where I feel like I can say whatever it is that needs to be said. 

When I was a teenager and had violent sleepwalking episodes; sure.....just being a *BEEP*. (We really need an eye roll emoji. Eye rolling does not involve smiling like this dude :rolleyes: <_<72x72x1f644-unicode-example-pagespeed-ic-qtny95o1xa-1.png

When I crashed my car while sleep driving in college, ummm....yeah I was a *BEEP* to that mountain I crashed into! I'm sure it deserved it somehow; right?

I guess what I really want to say is...

It's not fair to have anyone that cares about us, let alone anyone at ALL to think we do things because we can "get away with it". Seriously....*BEEP* that. If ONLY I could get away with anything. If I could, I would have a rich husband to tend to my every whim.

Heh, right?

None of us do. Nor do any of us think that anyone will be that way for us. Most of us lived a good portion of our lives being misdiagnosed, pushed aside because we are just "lazy", lost all our friendships because we were too tired to go out just one more time...

Ladies and gents with narcolepsy, be yourself! 

I call them "sleep muggles" . And yeah, they can be annoying a lot of the time. Honestly, I try to cut friends/family a break if its the occasional offensive statement they make without any malevolent intent. But if they switch over into being malicious or terminally stupid about it, it's time to jerk a knot in their tail or just jettison them from your life.

Preach it, brothers and sisters! I'm 100% with you. I've actually stopped being as social as I used to be just so I don't have to deal with crap like that. I have a very select and special core group of people who understand, respect and support me and what I'm going through. Trim the wasted space, I say!

Amen. If they can't deal with it, it's their problem not mine. Sure weeds out the duds in a hurry. Life is too short to have to deal with bull$hit too.