Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
livewithzeal

communication
Are the NN forums dead?

7 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where to put this, but is this forum dead? :unsure:

I mean, there are a few current posters, but most of the content seems old and the "online users" are mostly guests. No offense meant, but I was really looking forward to communicating with others that were going through the same stuff.

I tried posting replies to some posts (that were being frequented by online users). Specifically, ones that I thought I could add my own take to the conversation. I was told that I was raising the dead posts. I also posted my own question and got... *drum roll please* ...1 reply. (Thank you very much @Natdoc!)

Things used to be more hopping activity around here, but after some trolls and a lot of internecine squabbling, member activity has never quite recovered. Also playing into this is that people only hang out here when their condition flares up. Once they get healthier, they move on, which sucks because it gives the forum an overarching negative slant. I mean N is bad, don't get me wrong, but based on reading this forum I kinda wanted to hang myself after first being Dx'd lol. That being said we have some really awesome people here and a few members have made it a point to stick around and try to report on what worked for them, even after they found a treatment regimen that let them get their lives back. Anyways, welcome to the forums! We're not dead, we're just probably sleeping :P

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Nice to meet you!

You too!

@livewithzeal @DeathRabbit

I think the format as it exists right now is outdated. Some members asked for "stickies" (including me) because some questions from Newbies are very repetitive... like, "how to prepare for the mslt".

There's just too many inactive categories and you, livewithzeal, posted in two of them. The most active are Diagnosis and Treatment. Guests search and read what interests them in an archival manner like a library but, as Wabbit says, the original writer and responders are probably long gone. If you click on someone's name/handle, it will tell you when they were last on the forum. Everybody's different but is there a point to asking a question of someone or responding to someone who hasn't been on the forum for three years? YMMV. 

If you want more responses to your questions or comments, then I would recommend that you post in either Diagnosis or Treatment... the rest of the categories are a crap shoot.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Guests search and read what interests them in an archival manner like a library but, as Wabbit says, the original writer and responders are probably long gone. If you click on someone's name/handle, it will tell you when they were last on the forum. Everybody's different but is there a point to asking a question of someone or responding to someone who hasn't been on the forum for three years? YMMV.

I have seen a number of old threads brought 'back to life' and replied to by the OP in recent times, so yes, I would consider it alright to post wherever considered appropriate. Often a very useful update is obtained this way.

I agree that 'Diagnosis or Treatment' are the most active categories, but they may not always be appropriate.

After a member has read through the site as wished then the site can be marked 'read' (see logout page) and when the member next logs in, all new posts, regardless of category can be seen by clicking on the 'page' symbol at the top right of the website page.

Yeah, it's a shame they don't curate this place better. I offered once upon a time to help as I've run a bb style forum before but no luck. But yeah, half the subforums need to go or be combined. Mods need to be here once daily to patrol for abuse or spammers (we srsly had one terrorize for about a year one time and noone would do anything about it) and for requests such as stickying things and just general forum maintenance. It'd really only take a few hours a week to get this place hopping again, but I guess it's not a high priority. I tried creating an fb group one time and inviting a bunch of ppl from here but it never really took off either, mainly cuz I think ppl aren't necessairly trusting with broadcasting their condition on FB, even though I had it completely hidden. Ah well, shrug.jpg

Edit: Yeah, just checked the mod list and only one of them has even been on this year, and the last time they were on was 3 weeks ago. *headdesk*