Photo

17 Year-Old

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Sam.Toombs

Sam.Toombs

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:I am currently studying International Criminology at Sheffield University here in the UK and however dull that may sound i actually do enjoy it.<br /><br />I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy/Cataplexy when i was about 19 and i do appreciate the friendships across the globe that this has brought me.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

i was diagnosed when i was about that age and i am 23 now ... i can totally relate to how you are feeling as well as him

i know it is difficult for both of you at this age, he wants his independence and has now found that he has this condition and you want to help your son in any way you can because you are a mother and thats what parents want to do.

I know it sounds trite but talking about it really helps, so this is the board for you and your son - if either of you ever want to chat or have questions then don't hesitate to ask - it is what we are here for - I am also the moderator on a different board for people with narcolepsy - so if you have any questions don't hesitate to e-mail me or whatever suits you

i know it doesn't seem like it now - but things will get better

Sam

#22 Julie A

Julie A

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

Hi all. It's nice to see so many others diagnosed so young (not to be morbid). As far back as I can remember I slept all the time. My first Cataplexy attack, I was in my first grade classroom. This was misdiagnosed as fainting as the hospital found no signs of a seizure. I was told for years by pediatricians that it was bad sleep habits. My mother finally forged a referral to see a neuro. (this is anynomous right?)
I was formally diagnosed at 14 (or 13). I am now 25. Back then there was only heavy stimulants and I couldn't handle the side effects. Also they didn't understand N like they do now. N ruled my teenage years. I slept through school, causing me to fail 7th and 8th grade. I was super smart and aced all of my tests but never completed my assignments and slept during in school work. I finally, about to be 16 in 8th grade, begged my mother for help. We learned of an "online high school". Acctually, my boyfriend knew the principal. Well here goes. . . .
I bought my high school diploma. (Again, anonymous right?)
I have never admitted this to anyone.
I never set foot in a high school. I left at 16 with a great GPA and a High School Diploma. I wanted so much to be able to work and support myself, as all teens do. I wanted to go to college. I never would've made it out of middle school.
I AM SOOO NOT ENCOURAGING THIS ROUTE TO ANY OF YOU TEENS!
I was lucky to have a supportive boyfriend. We moved in together, and he would help me during my attacks. Though I have to admit, my first CATAPLEXY attck in his presence scared the hell out of him. He rubbed Ice all over me to try to keep me conscious!
We moved in together after graduation, got married and pregnant (actually it was baby then marriage) and are now happily married with 2 beautiful kids.
I did go to college. Slept through a lot of it. But graduated with Highest Honors.
But now again, after all this, I desperately need treatment. I have been off my meds for 9 years.
MSLT was 2 days ago. Waiting for results. I can't go back to work without help. The last doctors I worked for thought I was a junkie. . . slurring, passing out, auto behavior, tiny pupils during attacks, late for work, and sometimes too tired to go at all. I had a horrible sllep attack in the Operating Room once, technically more than once, but only once did I have to run out of there. That must've looked great for me. Scrubbed, masked, and gowned, holding bloody scissors, and leaving in the middle of surgery to lay on the hallway floor.
I hope you all recieve proper treatment. I hope I do to.

#23 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (Libby @ Apr 18 2008, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His name is Phillip, and he's at that age where everyone is wrong and he is right (about everything). He started his MEDS today Provigil. I hope they help him

Hi Libby!

Keep positive on the provigil. It's got a good track record around here. I take it, and I like it a lot. Something I would keep in mind is important that he gets out. Don't expect the provigil to fix everything. Lot's of activity during the day would be a great thing now that he's started it. This could be a very good time for you and him.

Besides! I don't know about where you are, but all I see outside is Sunshine...
smile.gif

#24 rantboy

rantboy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (daisyat&t @ Mar 4 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your comment. I am the mother of an 17 year old who was diagnosed at 14 with Narcolepsy. He has had problems with his sleep all his life. He had Epilepsy at 15 months old and was medicated for a couple of years for that. He later grew out of the Epilepsy. Something I noted when he did his sleep EEG's was that he would immediately fall into REM. I didn't realize that wasn't normal only that the technicians would be frustrated because they only wanted him to be in a light sleep. I complained for many years to his general practictioner and his Neurologist. Finally, when I received two calls in one day from teachers saying he is constantly falling asleep. I marched into a doctor office that was filling in for our general practicioner and said, "I think he has Narcolepsy." He looked at his records and said, "Well, honey, you've been complaining about this for years. I think your right." I wanted to cry. He was then given a Sleep Latency Test and it was obvious.
I found what you were saying about being diagnosed szicophrenic(?) to be particularly interresting. My son's great grandfather & grandfather along with many members of his fathers family have been diagnosed with szicophrenia. His father diagnosed with szizioeffective disorder.
The Neurologist we have had these past few years changed & increased his medication pretty much each visit we've made to him. My son does not have Cataplexy. Long story short, the last visit, doctor wanted to increase the adderal again. I said to him that it's time we do something different and he send us to an Indianapolis doctor that specializes in sleep disorders. It was brought to my attention immediately that he was on way too much Adderal. He was taking 160 mg a day. Does anyone else take that much. He will be having an MRI this evening and is now on 60 mg of Adderal & 400 mg Provigil. He has taken Provigil in the past and it wasn't helpful. He is now also sopose to have one day a week of "wash". Meaning that he doesn't take any medication one day a week. He slept the whole day & night of course. Anyone that might have this same experience, I would love to hear from you.

Daisy
facts: I am 69 yrs old
first symtoms in 9th grade (14)
mis-diagnosed several times until 35

During that time I learned to manage my systoms without drugs. I could sense when an attack was about to arrive...a 2 - 4 min warning. At first the warning was an 'aurora' around the head like epilitics have,then became a mild sense of disorientation and now yawns. I would retrat into the bathroom, sit down and lean my head against the wall and let the dream occur, about 15 minutes. I developed a distrust of drugs and suggest you do so to. Get a Physicians Desk Referance (PDR) your pharmisist will have one and probably let you use it. Look up the drug prescribed, read the ENTIRE entry. There will be info the doctor didn't tell you. Look for side effects and contraindications. Don't entirely trust the info. It is written by the manufacturer who is selling the product. look elsewhere also, online, health newsletters etc. If your child can do with less dope please cut it down. Have him experiment with coping tactics. He may be able to develop some that work and will feel more in control of his life.

Sorry for the length, they don't call me rant boy for nothing