Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HBr

Valerian for sleep improvement

29 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Jasonm said:

I totally read that as magical mushrooms. Adenosine unfortunately has a half life of 10 seconds so consuming it probably won't do much. 

Well, some adenosine + gabaergic activity would probably do more than pure adenosine:

"Suppression of locomotor activity in normal mice induced by GLE was also observed. Flumazenil, a benzodiazepine receptor antagonist, at a dose of 3.5 mg/kg showed a significant antagonistic effect on the shortening in sleep latency, increase in sleeping time, non-REM sleep time or light sleep time in pentobarbital-treated rat induced by GLE. Significant effect was also observed with GLE on delta activity during non-REM sleep and flumazenil did not block this effect. In conclusion, GLE may be a herb having benzodiazepine-like hypnotic activity at least in part."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S009130570700086X

Im not sure if that mechanism would be more sustainable than Valerian as they're both gabaergic but Reishi is a known adaptogenic and at least has a number of health benefits for PWN.

I'd taken Valerian root extract from Nature's Sunshine a number of years ago when I battled with Insomnia before I cured it with narcolepsy instead. Just for me, I could never find that goldilocks zone between "completely ineffective" and sedating the next day. At higher than recommended doses, it was effective for me at least but only in getting to sleep. Ymmv

1 hour ago, Pereise1 said:

Nature's Sunshine

They have some interesting products, including a time-release valerian product.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread! I feel I've learned a lot about the herb. I may try an alcohol extracted version. The generic pill version doesn't suit me.

18 hours ago, HBr said:

The Hindawi article states:

2.2. Valerian Extracts:

EtOH = ethanol?

And in their abstract  and 'Results':

Aren't both studies seeing much the same results, even though only the Bonn study goes on to elucidate that effect as adenosine release?

It's probably not that simple. Any number of pharmacological actions might result in that. Since valerian has a lot of different actions, it's impossible to correlate the effects from one study to an unrelated one. Anyway, it's unclear if increasing slow wave sleep helps daytime alertness. It doesn't for normal people. The only study showing any benefit from enhanced sws was in a sleep restricted setting using tiagabine. That's what I'd try if I were going to experiment. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ptr.2197/full

https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-2006-950023