qualifying for individual health coverage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lnwilson

lnwilson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

I recently exhausted my Cobra coverage and have been without health insurance since 12/31/07. I've applied for a few individual programs with Blue Cross but I've been denied because I have narcolepsy and take Provigil and Xyrem. Has anyone with narcolepsy had any luck qualifying for an individual health plan? I just started a new job, but I don't qualify for the group health plan until June 1....but I'm running out of prescriptions and can't wait that long! I'm 26 years old, and am otherwise healthy.

If anyone has any advice about which health insurance companies I should apply with, I would really appreciate it!!

#2 tklemp

tklemp

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

I don't know about independent insurances, but I am a social worker and when my client's are out of health insurance for a short time, we contact the drug companies. If you tell them you have been on their drug with insurance, its working and you don't want to stop- they usually will give you X months free assuming in the long run you will stay with their meds even back on insurance. W/o insurance 60 pills (one month supply for me) is $800... I almost died when the pharmacy tech forgot to put in my insurance.

#3 Narcolepsy Network

Narcolepsy Network

• Root Admin
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:34 AM

Some states (e.g., NY and TX) offer health insurance to preferred groups, such as individuals who have been turned down by private carriers or whose employers don't offer health insurance.

To check if your state is one of them, substitute your two-letter state abbreviation for the "XX" in the the following URL and follow the links for health care:
http://www.state.XX.us.

In some state, the premium for health insurance is determined on a sliding scale, with the neediest individuals receiving health insurance for free.

Narcolepsy Network

#4 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

Yes, this is usually called a "risk pool" and requires you to provide proof that other carriers won't cover you.

QUOTE (Narcolepsy Network @ Feb 11 2008, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some states (e.g., NY and TX) offer health insurance to preferred groups, such as individuals who have been turned down by private carriers or whose employers don't offer health insurance.

To check if your state is one of them, substitute your two-letter state abbreviation for the "XX" in the the following URL and follow the links for health care:
http://www.state.XX.us.

In some state, the premium for health insurance is determined on a sliding scale, with the neediest individuals receiving health insurance for free.

Narcolepsy Network

#5 lnwilson

lnwilson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

I really appreciate all the feedback and information! I was very surprised, but relieved that Blue Cross (now Anthem Blue Cross) actually offered me coverage, just at a 75% premium. smile.gif