outbursts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 susan hamilton

susan hamilton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

My 12 year old son is emotional and volatile right now. any advice or strategies on how you handle this? Also in school he seems less focused and chatty but thankfully not volatile or emotional. Does this sound like a medicine readjustment scenario?

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:38 AM

From reading some of your other posts, it sounds like you are struggling. The folks on this board have been amazingly open and honest. I'm new to this community, but I am definately not new to Narcolepsy.

So...here's my two cents as a parent and a narcoleptic w/ cataplaexy....

Be as empathetic as possible
Be as well grounded yourself as possible
Realize that with narcolepsy or not, kids will push buttons

It could be the Meds...it could not be the meds...
No one on this board could tell you that it is for sure, but if it seems like a new pattern that has developed, it would definately be worth talking to your son's doctor about.

While his behavior may make you want to scream, yell, cry and such (which I think all parents have felt at one time or another), your reaction to his behavior is key.

My parents gave me the "I'll give you something to cry about!"...Which was a wrong way to go about things.

I wouldn't immediatley blame the meds, but I would definately look into that as something that is affecting how he acts.

Thanks for being a good Mom!

-Stu