Does this happen to anybody else?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sleepygirl08

sleepygirl08

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

Does this happen to anybody else? I haven't driven in years and I stopped because the sleepyness was incontrolable. I tried driving again a few days ago and didn't do well at all. My hand-eye coordination is bad. I over think what to do when i see a red light. I have to remind myself to stop. My depth perception is bad too. This was happenning before I stopped along with the sleepiness. I this due to Narcolepsy?

#2 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I like Drama , Art , Sleeping , Biology and Tae Kwon Do.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

I think that over thinking a red light is caused more by anxiety and nervousness.

#3 kogeliz

kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

I agree.
Sounds like nervousness.
Maybe if you drive in some areas where there aren't many cars on the road... just to practice and get into it.

I think it also may be made worse because of brain foggyness due to narcolepsy.

Another thing... how is your vision/perception otherwise? Does this happen only while driving?

#4 Cryopathic

Cryopathic

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I like Drama , Art , Sleeping , Biology and Tae Kwon Do.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

It might be possible that it's Automatic Behavour.

#5 eversleepy

eversleepy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

Having not driven in some time would lead to you be more nervous and/or cautious when driving. I know when i have a heighten emotional state the narcolepsy is more pronounced in my life. Sudden movement or unexpected actions by another drive could lead you to blackout or have a drop attack while driving. Yes I have experienced what you are describing but it is usually late at night or at a time other than my normal commuting times. I fully think it is the narcolepsy that is causing your problems. Best thing to do is get some practice in on weekends or side streets where there is little to no traffic. I know when i am having problems drifting i find my speed and aggressiviness both increase.

#6 kimmie

kimmie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:getting better. spending more time with my kids and husband

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

Does this happen to anybody else? I haven't driven in years and I stopped because the sleepyness was incontrolable. I tried driving again a few days ago and didn't do well at all. My hand-eye coordination is bad. I over think what to do when i see a red light. I have to remind myself to stop. My depth perception is bad too. This was happenning before I stopped along with the sleepiness. I this due to Narcolepsy?

I know what your going thru on my good days. I drive good but when my bad days come I notice myself drifting in and out of sleep. so now I know when I can and can't drive. maybe go out with somebody you know and drive with the maybe they will help you come down when you drive.

#7 eversleepy

eversleepy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

I'll post some tips and tricks that I have found work for me. Often I find that I don't realize when I am drifting but have learned to tell the signs and be more aware of my state.

I know what your going thru on my good days. I drive good but when my bad days come I notice myself drifting in and out of sleep. so now I know when I can and can't drive. maybe go out with somebody you know and drive with the maybe they will help you come down when you drive.

#8 Jamie Mills

Jamie Mills

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

I'll post some tips and tricks that I have found work for me. Often I find that I don't realize when I am drifting but have learned to tell the signs and be more aware of my state.

Yes, I would say to varying degrees it happens to everyone. But I agree with several posts, to begin to drive again you need to try and not do it alone. You need to be with someone you trust and a person that will not get frustrated while you adjust to things. Nervousness can make you begin to tire, even if you are on your medications and would otherwise be awake. I have driven since being diagnosed with this condition, though now I have had my liscence revoked and do not expect I might ever get it back. I would say that having someone there, especially in the beginning and then as you get the hang of driving again and feel comfortable is a must. Because in both instances you will find yourself dosing and someone should be there to identify the triggers, especially if you do end up driving for more than 40 minutes to 1 hour.

#9 SleepingPhoenix

SleepingPhoenix

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Foodie, and cook. Also love the beach and movies. Since diagnosed on Fall 2010, not much of going out without the fear of falling asleep. Life a disaster though fighting to make it though. Only faith keeps me going.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

Actually it does. Not merely for the nervousness of trying again to drive. Many of me amphetamines doctors give causes the depth perception and the drifting. Also you might notice yourself speeding, since your may not notice how fast are you going unless you are actually looking at the meter. You must practice for a couple of weeks where there is not much traffic. You gotta learn to trust yourself under the circumstances, and learn to recognize the symptoms when an sleeping episode is about to happen. To me it took me months, but I noticed that part of my body specially my neck and extremities begin to hurt, like a mild cramp. When the cramp intensifies, I know I gotta stop somewhere. I normally look for fast food parking lots and sleep there a while until Im sure I can drive again. When going to work, I try to arrive at least a half an hour early so I can sleep a bit prior to work.