Miss Jens

College students/20-somethings..

41 posts in this topic

The disability/learning center guy I work with is soooo so nice and cool but just doesn't get the entire picture either...He and his wife just had a baby boy and he says he thinks he understands a little better now what it's like to live with Narcolepsy...oh man, if he onnnnnnly knew...

SERIOUSLY? lol.... no way... Dont you want to just punch people in the neck every now and then? Thats like saying I know what it's like to get stabbed cuz I got a splinter once......

SERIOUSLY? lol.... no way... Dont you want to just punch people in the neck every now and then? Thats like saying I know what it's like to get stabbed cuz I got a splinter once......

This made me laugh outloud! LOL :lol:

Ok got to rant for a second.... People with Neurological disorders should not be forced to do algebra.

Seriously for the love of all things purple!!! It just isn't right....

Ok got to rant for a second.... People with Neurological disorders should not be forced to do algebra.

Seriously for the love of all things purple!!! It just isn't right....

I think everyone should have to take Calculus too! :)

Sorry Marcianna... I love math! I'm a wonderful tutor (although I haven't been tutoring lately because of my N). If you need an explanation for some algebra send me a message and I'll give you my phone number.

Good luck anyways!

ohhhhhhh marciana,

i couldn't agree more with you...i do not get math. honestly. just do not get it. hahah my brain doesn't do numbers whatsoever! imagine being pre-med for three years and finally figuring out that i had N and ADD and saying to myself, 'self, this isn't working out--let's try something new,' and then moving to an english major and ROCKING. i mean GAH, the sense of relief! unbelievable. i had to take TWO upper-level calculus courses, not to mention physics and other math in chem and bio classes--balancing equations, calculating molarity, titrating solution strengths, blah blah blah...killlllll me. SO happy i'm finally outta that.

and lais02, you're a brave soul for tutoring and actually doing well in math...i envy you not. i really hope you get to tutor again soon ;)

how's everyone else doing in college? i'm still having trouble getting up in the mornings sometimes and then sitting down and focusing enough to actually do work after classes...any of yall found anything (meds, schedule, etc) that's worked well for college life?

how's everyone else doing in college? i'm still having trouble getting up in the mornings sometimes and then sitting down and focusing enough to actually do work after classes...any of yall found anything (meds, schedule, etc) that's worked well for college life?

I started Xyrem this semester, and it has really helped me. I can wake up for school now! :) Next semester I won't have any morning classes. Even though I can wake up now... I still think I function better later in the day, so that schedule should help me.

I hope people post other ideas... because that's all I've got for you!

How is everybody doing with classes?

I seem to be almost on track this semester. YAY! My Centre for Disabilities (CSD) advisor is pretty awesome. I get so much support from the CSD in general that I really feel much more positive about school than I did a few months ago.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

I did well last semester! :) Xyrem is working very well for me, and I only missed a couple classes all semester which was less than most of the other students... and they don't have N.

myself as a result of the algebra thing I was kinda thrown out for a bit. I am appealing to go bacjk and hopefully can get my financial aid back but we will see. If I do, I will start again this fall.

on a side note...

I had an extremely weird conversation with Lais02 on the phone last night concerning what her idea of fun is.

Let me tell you I suspect that she not only builds robots, but is in fact a robot herself in disguise. its the only explanation I could come up with for her love of math. hahaha sorry girl... Dont worry, I am sure your like a cool sexy robot though. like that old movie Cherry 2000 or something. hahaha!!!!

myself as a result of the algebra thing I was kinda thrown out for a bit. I am appealing to go bacjk and hopefully can get my financial aid back but we will see. If I do, I will start again this fall.

on a side note...

I had an extremely weird conversation with Lais02 on the phone last night concerning what her idea of fun is.

Let me tell you I suspect that she not only builds robots, but is in fact a robot herself in disguise. its the only explanation I could come up with for her love of math. hahaha sorry girl... Dont worry, I am sure your like a cool sexy robot though. like that old movie Cherry 2000 or something. hahaha!!!!

lol!!! I assure you all I am not a robot :rolleyes: I will admit I'm a little weird, but life would be boring if I wasn't.

Hi there everyone,

You make me all so jealous hahahaha... I know I'm a "looser" I quit school because I was falling asleep in all of my classes, exams, work, And didn't get a good night sleep. After failling 2 full semesters and trying for a third (I was depressed a little I had just lost a friend, my momy tried to commit suicide (she has a brain tumor it must be really painful she got operated but it came back) and one of my best friend DID commit suicide) mix that all together + dealing with N... I was just too weak spirited and gave up... But I SOOOOOOOOOO would love to go back to school finish my Cegep (similar to College in Québec) but I'm engaged and I live in an appartment... Oh and I'm 20 I was diagnosed I was 17 (I think?) Anyways Good luck with your schooling! I do take accounting at night but it kills me! And it's only 1 night per week (I do work 40 hours though)

hey all,

I am a 23 yo Uni student. I was diagnosed Narc/Cataplexy about 3 months ago. I don't have any family in the U.S. but to be honest, Its not a problem. It has seriously affected the past 3 semesters but the most recent semester has been the hardest: I have been dropped from a USMC officer program, lost my scholarship, quit my job at a Scuba diving training center, relationship with the (now ex) girlfriend has ended etc etc. .........im on the edge..... just kidding. I know this will take time to adjust to but I'm sure you all know that better than I.

so far I have had an interesting experience with all of the diagnostics and testing. the Neurologist tries to crack jokes about narcolepsy to liven things up. thanks doc but not funny.

has anyone else found themselves avoiding certain social situations to minimize embarrassment?

hey all,

I am a 23 yo Uni student. I was diagnosed Narc/Cataplexy about 3 months ago. I don't have any family in the U.S. but to be honest, Its not a problem. It has seriously affected the past 3 semesters but the most recent semester has been the hardest: I have been dropped from a USMC officer program, lost my scholarship, quit my job at a Scuba diving training center, relationship with the (now ex) girlfriend has ended etc etc. .........im on the edge..... just kidding. I know this will take time to adjust to but I'm sure you all know that better than I.

so far I have had an interesting experience with all of the diagnostics and testing. the Neurologist tries to crack jokes about narcolepsy to liven things up. thanks doc but not funny.

has anyone else found themselves avoiding certain social situations to minimize embarrassment?

Hey noddinoff,

I've been diagnosed for about two years now (Narc w/o Cataplexy), but most of my friends don't understand what I go through everyday. So, there are many times that I avoid social situations to avoid the embarrassment and all the questions. Because of treatment/meds there are also times when I can't be involved, so know that you are not alone.

Hey noddinoff,

I've been diagnosed for about two years now (Narc w/o Cataplexy), but most of my friends don't understand what I go through everyday. So, there are many times that I avoid social situations to avoid the embarrassment and all the questions. Because of treatment/meds there are also times when I can't be involved, so know that you are not alone.

Hey,

No kidding, how are they supposed to understand any of this.

are you open about this condition with other people? I can count on one hand the people that know about mine, and to be honest, kind of regret telling them. Still waiting to let the family know.

Thanks for the bday post by the way :)

But the one thing I really really need is some place to crash for a bit. The set up here is this. I dont drive and even if I did the school is about 1/2 hoyr away for me. Taking the bus is ok I guess but it only goes out there three times a day 8,12 and 4. during the day time is the times I am most at risk for sleep attacks. so for example, (8 is out completely,) If I go in at 12 and know I wont be coming home till either 7:30 or 9 pm, then at some point, I need to take a nap. I would be nice If I could go home between classes but I cant. the trip itself, takes about an hour and a half, so there is three hours right there coming home and going back.... Meanwhile on this rather decent sized campus there is nowhere to lay down. The library wont let me sleep in there, The nursing dept. wont let me use one of their rooms with a bed in it.

The thing is that naps are so random with me since my schedule is off, I cant even give them a time I need to do this.

That sounds like a reasonable request, especially on a college campus. There is no way people aren't sleeping on their campus at any given time, at least, I would find that really hard to believe. I napped everywhere on campus, outside and inside. Lots of people did, especially in the library. My classes were huge so if need be I could nap in class no problems. I did make sure I had a hat and I always, always sat in back in anticipation I might nap.

As far as having your own place to nap there are smallish beds you can buy you can carry around that are small and lightweight that fold up for use, just in case you need to find a quiet dark room and take a nap. But the floors, concrete, grass, benches, desks, and such worked fine and I would use my backpack with a coat stuffed inside as a pillow and I was not alone by any means.

Regarding telling people - it was a mystery to me why I was so much more sleepy than my friends and couldn't stay awake during the day despite sleeping normal hours at night. So there was no official label or name, however the behavior still became a joke anyway or people would just simply accept this was the way I was. I attempted to take morning classes or do morning activities but those always resulted in epic fails, so I adjusted the schedules to avoid mornings completely. My job didn't understand and I ended up not being able to juggle both a job and college. Which was confusing for me because sleeping cost me many great experiences/career advances, I always thought with hard work I could do whatever I wanted so when I wasn't capable of doing it all or even everything I wanted to do at anytime, even with lots of caffeine, I just figured I wasn't a morning person.

On 9/17/2008 at 4:26 PM, brown2mr said:

Granted the focus thing is an extra layer I dont have to contend with I get my books on tape and I found out about it from one of my friends that is ADHD. ANy text book you have they will read onto one of those four sided tapeplayers. Reading for the Deaf and Blind do it for the Disabilities services office at my school. It helps for me to pace and be active while they read. I dont know if you have heard of it but it was a helpful accomdation for me. 

That's great. I asked my college's disability office for this but they just told me to use the computerized text-to-speech features. I can't hear those or make out the words the person is saying half the time, though. Do your books come pre-read on tape or did someone actually have to record themselves reading it?